Logo

New boat

scott_h

hi i just bought a 1986 wellcr

hi i just bought a 1986 wellcraft from a freind and im having some issues with it i saw this web site so maybe you guys can help. the guy i bought the boat from just had a 350 chvy built and put in. well i got the boat home and finished it up in the drive. the boat will shift into the gears fine with the muffs but put it in the water and put it n gear u cant get it out without cutting the engine off.forward or reverse. tried adj and it just doesnt ceem to change anything.ive read some other sites but any help will be greatly appr... thanks scott

OK SOMEONE TOLD ME IN 84 85 86

OK SOMEONE TOLD ME IN 84 85 86 THEY PUT THE WRONG NUT ON THE SHIFT SPOOL AND WOULD CAUSE SHIFT PROBLEMS IF WORN DOWN? ANYTHING TO THT?

"Check your shift interrupt sw

"Check your shift interrupt switch first.
This switch neds to kill the ignition momentarily when you shift out of gear, or the gears won't release. This only happens when in the water. In the driveway with no load on the prop it will seem to function just fine.

Easy test: Run the engine at idle and manualy depress the roller spring on the interupt switch. If the engine does not die, the switch or the wiring is pooched.

Rod"

WHEN THE GUYS PUT THE ENGINE I

WHEN THE GUYS PUT THE ENGINE IN THE BOAT THEY DIDNT PUT THE SWITCH BACK ON IT. I HAVE A REGULAR ACCELL HEI DISTRIBUTOR IN IT DO I HAVE TO HAVE THE SWITCH AND IF SO HOW DO I WIRE IT IN A DIST LIKE MINE? THANX ALOT 4 THE HELP

"Yes you need the switch; with

"Yes you need the switch; with any Alpha or pre-Alpha drive.

I don't know how you wire it with and HEI dist. Maybe someone on the site knows, or you need to contact Accel for their specific recommendation. They must have run into this before.

Rod"

Hi Scott

First need make su

Hi Scott

First need make sure the shift cable is working and not rusted up. Then your cables must be ajusted to specs. I am takeing it that since the engine was replace or changed there is some ajusting to do. 3rd the cut out switch must be working MOMENTAILY this takes the pressure off of drive so when the cable moves it is not under a lot of pressure and come out of gear.
There is a wire Sping that is right there where the cables hook up. You can take that apart and stretch outward to put just a little more pressure on it for the cut out switch to let it perform faster.
Moreover it sounds like there is more than one thing that must be ck out to get it working right. Also it sounds to like it did not get wire back up to work.(the cut out switch)

Note it will not come out of gear if this CUT OUT Switch is not working and the ajustments on the cables or right.

The cut out swith sits where t

The cut out swith sits where the cables come together on the shift bracket assembly. Also need to go talk to your local marina who works on these drive and set up. And buy yourself a Mercruiser Manual...... You can mess up the outdrive if you do not get this fix right. And you need it to work right for safty reasons DEFACTO

THE BOAT DOESNT EVEN HAVE THE

THE BOAT DOESNT EVEN HAVE THE SWTCH. THE PLATE IS THERE BUT NO SWITCH.DOES ANYONE HAVE THE NUM FOR THE SWITCH? AND HOW DO I WIRE IT IN MY DIST? HOW MANY WIRES DOES IT HAVE? THE SPRING AND THE PLATE ARE STILL THERE. I ORDERD A NEW LOWER CABLE THIS MORNIN AS WELL.MAYBE WHEN ALL THIS IS FIXED IT WILL SHIFT PROPERLY...LOL

goin to look on ebay to get a

goin to look on ebay to get a switch. thanks for all your help guys. the switch does it jus ground out the ignition for a second so u can shift with ease? if so the power wire feeding my dist will jus run through it and it will have another wire to ground that way when it moves on the plate the spring closes it and grounds momentarly correct?

"I think its more sophisicated

"I think its more sophisicated than that. I don't have a wiring diagram, but my understanding is that it kills half the spark events at random.

Dare i ask if the engine you put in has a marine alternator and starter?

cheers"

yes the engine does have a mar

yes the engine does have a marine starter and alt. the engine was n the boat when i got it. im just trying to get it to shift properly. i have another boat with a 4.3 in it and i checked the switch in it and thats how it is. it just kills the power to dist when the switch is pressed in

ok guys got the new cable on o

ok guys got the new cable on on and its real free moving. i put the cut out switch back on and it does not move. the plate with the notch on it doesnt seem to move up or down when i move the controls.im sure its just adjusting it so how do i go about tht?

"the switch only works when th

"the switch only works when there is resistance on the prop so as long as it shifts in and out of gear on the trailer, you have to put it in the water and test it there. I know this cause the guys on here and I just went through this. I tried and tried to get it to work on the trailer and the muffs and got nothing so I adjusted it so it went in and out of both gears then put it in the water and all is good...
"

AH OK JOHN THANX 4 ALL THE HEL

AH OK JOHN THANX 4 ALL THE HELP THIS IS A PURDY HELPFUL FORUM..... TAKE IT AND PUT IN WATER TOM I HOPE AND MAYBE ALL THIS WILL WORK.LOL

"to bad you replaced the cable

"to bad you replaced the cable for nothing,I belive it was all the switch. But I think you should put the marine dist back in."

I DONT HAVE A MARINE DIST. THE

I DONT HAVE A MARINE DIST. THE ENGINE DIDNT HAVE ONE AT ALL WHEN I GOT THE BOAT.WHATS THE DIFF IN THE TWO? IS THE MARINE JUST SEALED OFF FROM MOISTER? IF ITS GOING TO CAUSE PROBLEMS I WILL GET ANOTHER DIST.

Back