Logo

Antique Evinrude Cant Figure out year of production

A

adamdilley

"Hi Guys,

I am in need of s

"Hi Guys,

I am in need of some help identifying my antique envirude that was given to me as a gift about 8 years ago. To give you a quick description, it is a 4 cylinder outboard engine that is electric start only. It has two factory controls, one for the throttle and one for the spark. These are seperate and have individual levers for each. It has a Hi/Low charge amp gauge on the face of the engine. I think it is from the late 20's early 30's but dont really know. The 70 yr old guy who gave it to me said his father bought the boat and the engine from a dealer in Waterloo Iowa brand new. there are a few numbers on it that may help to indentify it. On the steering arm - 100344, on the engine block - 101046 ( I believe it is, hard to make out) and also there is a Outboard Motor Coorporation tag on it from milwaukee wisc. The number on that is 90000180.

any help you can give me in help indentifying this engine would be appreciated so i can start restoring the the boat and engine. i have 10 pictures of the engine as well if anyone is interested in seeing what it looks like.

Thanks,
Adam"

"Adam, let's see if we can

"Adam, let's see if we can narrow down a bit what you have there.

The Outboard Motor Company (the first OMC) was formed in 1929 when ELTO, Evinrude and Lockwood-Ash combined operations. The name remained until 1935 or early 36 when OMC acquired Johnson (who was going bankrupt) and formed the new company OMMC (Outbord Marine and Manufacturing Corp) - over the years they dropped the Manufacturing part and simply became OMC once again (but Outboard Marine Corp).

So with your tag that would tend to indicate that your particular motor was built between 1929 and 1935/36.

Just taking a wild stab here, but if the number on the tag is indicative of the model, in 1931 there was a model 900, 18 horsepower "junior quad" which was supposedly the fastest motor on the market of it's day.

Any chance it looks like this??

191503.jpg
"

"Graham,

thanks for the inf

"Graham,

thanks for the info, i did some more research and came across two different engines that i thought it might be. first being a 1931 Evinrude 18hp 900 series which you pointed out, and i also found a 9000 series from 1934 Evinrude 16.2hp, i could not find pictures of either of them. my engine looks similar to the one you have pictured, but not a match. for example, the gas tank is bigger with an Evinrude logo on three sides of it. if you'd like i would be happy to email you pictures of it, i've got 10 of them. if you'd like to see them let me know where to send'em.

thanks"

"Sure thing - click my name an

"Sure thing - click my name and my email should pop up.

You may try getting ahold of someone at www.aomci.org (antique outboard club) which may be able to let you know right off what exactly you have.."

"Graham,

what did you think

"Graham,

what did you think of the pictures i sent you.
If they didnt go thru a picture is sent another member is posted under the Johnson Evinrude discussion board. The Discussion topic is the same as the one we have here."

"I got them. It definately app

"I got them. It definately appears to be a "quad" model Evinrude and most likely from the 1930's - just a little before my time

I'm sure someone from the link I posted above could help you nail it down exactly. I have model listings for Ev's going all the way back to 1916, but not much more info than just the model number and year of mfg."

Back