Logo

1987 DT 75TCLH Lagging Forward Propulsion

jragones

"Motor has been running great.

"Motor has been running great. Yesterday, however when going about 10-15 knots with motor running smoothly it suddenly surged, speed dropped significantly and motor seemed to drag and sound labored. Prop was clean; in neutral, engine sounded fine and could increase engine speed manually just fine. Appeared as if reverse was also working ok although I did not pick up too much speed as the seas and current prevented such. Managed to limp back to port but very slowly and with throttle full open. Occasionally it seemed to want to "catch" and pick up speed, but would fail. Sound familiar to anyone? Could it be a forward gear problem or transmission linkage problem or...????? Any help or direction would be most appreciated. Could not locate a similar discussion; first time post. Great forum."

"Clearly.. kidding with me rig

"Clearly.. kidding with me right? Checking the fuel system first as opposed to lower unit as a mechanic suggsted that under accelerating load, fuel related issues arise and are masked by simply revving the motor in neutral. On the off chance you were serious - explain further please."

you can rev the motor up all d

you can rev the motor up all day in neutral with a fueling issue

it is hard to understand what your asking

"I had a fueling issue alright

"I had a fueling issue alright. Looked like sugar granules in all three carbs. I replaced fuel tank, filters, fuel pump, cleaned carbs, added new inline fuel/water filter. Runs great @WOT, but seems to stall at low trolling end (pulling up to dock in ripping tidal current has been challenging). Should I be worried about carb balance since they all were disassembled. Don't have the $200+ OEM balance tool; would like to avoid. Any suggestions on how I could verify balance in another manner?"

Thanks J-I-T. I first reset a

Thanks J-I-T. I first reset air mix to 2 turns based on manual; the set timing based on timing base marks (although could not verify idle speed as my tach instrument could not be set for 3-cyl. So I bought an OEM tach for engine to set idle and will check dynamic timing. Balance tool is over $200 from Brown's and since I am (obviously!!!) not a Suzuki mechanic; I am hoping the above does the trick first. Unless you can suggest a balancing method with out the special tool???

Back