Logo

Stall

alfred

"I have twin 270's 900 hou

"I have twin 270's 900 hours. Yesterday ran offshore 20 miles at 2900 RPM's cruised at 19kts. Ran great. When I arrived at the fishing grounds, I trolled for about a half hour with one engine in gear and the other at idle. The engine at idle stalled out and started right back up. About an hour later doing the same troll application, she stalled out again and started right back up again. Two hours later, I was drifting with engines off, when I went to start that engine, she wouldn't start and acted like she was out of gas. after 4 attempts, she cranked over and ran her back at 3000 RPM's cruised in at 21kts. Why would that happen. Both engines have everything the same, carbs, waterseperators, idle @ 550? Looking forward to always good advice."

I'm curious as to why you

I'm curious as to why you leave one idling?

Sounds to me like the idle mixture is set too rich. The richness eventually fouls enough plugs to stall that engine and be stubborn on restart. When you blast it good on the way home the plugs clean up and all is well again.

Jeff

"Fastjeff,
>>I'm

"Fastjeff,
>>I'm curious as to why you leave one idling?<<

PMFJI. I think I can answer that. If you don't idle that motor the tranny will eventually overheat because of lack of cooling. At least that's what my dealer told me when I first bought my boat. He said what you have to do if you must run with one engine shut down is tie the shaft or prop so it will not spin.

richie"

Thanks Richie and Fastjeff. T

Thanks Richie and Fastjeff. The reason I run one at idle is because trolling for Stripers requires your troll to be as close to 1.5 kts at possibile. Useing both makes the troll too fast. So I swithch ever 15 minutes or so depending on the current.

Alfred:

You are a perfect c

Alfred:

You are a perfect candidate for a four stroke "kicker" outboard motor! I have a few buds who've gone this way and are extremely pleased with the results.

Jeff

Back