Logo

BRAND NEW 50 Merc Problematic piece of crap HELP

"Hey guys.
As you might have

"Hey guys.
As you might have read in my previous posts, I have a brand new Tracker boat with a Merc Classic 50 on it. I have been having problems with it since the first time out on the water.
The last time they had it in the shop, they were for sure they had it fixed, but they didnt.
The motor does not want to start even when warmed up. The motor makes a terrible loud knock noise every once in a while, and does not have the power that a buddy of mines has and his boat is bigger! This time out on the lake, it was knocking so bad, we just kept it off and trolled all the way back in (1 hour of trolling!).
I am so sick of this motor. Having less than 3 hours on it, you think it would run like a top. Have any one of you had problems with a new motor? I am just about to go in the dealership and tell them either to upgrade my motor from that one (4 stroke) or take the boat back! Have any one of you had to do that? Is that a good negotiation? Im just tired of having a 2 week old boat that I have problems with everytime out.
Any feedback will be much appreciated! - Jon"

"I remember reading your previ

"I remember reading your previous posts. I also remember Graham stating sometimes you can get a lemon. The shop has had one or two shots at getting it right. For the money you have spent, you should not have any problems, thats why you bought new and not used. I would take it back for another motor or upgrade, I believe legally they have to make it right or refund money. Good luck"

"Take it back and demand anoth

"Take it back and demand another motor. If the dealer won't help, call Merc directly..."

"I will try that. I will dema

"I will try that. I will demand another motor.
I know that they have tried their best to fix the motor, but sometimes, you just have to replace it and go on.
Should I demand another motor of the same kind or should I demand an upgrade motor? Im kinda scared on getting the same motor.
What would you guys do (and say)?"

I used what the dealer put in

I used what the dealer put in it.
They can shove the powerhead job! Im not going to have another piece of crap! They should act like a respectful company when it comes top issues like this.

"Sonds like the dealer sucks m

"Sonds like the dealer sucks more than the motor. IF you think the 4 stroke model is any less of a PITA, I have news for you."

"Really?
Well, what kind of m

"Really?
Well, what kind of motor has the less amount of problems? Sounds like boat motors are not well designed period.
I just want to get into a motor that will be LESS troublesome.
The dealer has been really nice, but I dont know about their work ethics.
Im looking at maybe asking for a 4 stroke 60 EFI or a 75 EFI upgrade. Are those better motors? Which one would you pick?"

"Gotta be the Opti an 75HP. <

"Gotta be the Opti an 75HP.
thumbs_up.gif
"

"Jon, 4 stroke motors were for

"Jon, 4 stroke motors were forced upon the Outboard world by the EPA. It was a case of "make a cleaner motor or don't make them".

A 4 stroke works really well - on the tow vehicle - but can be nothing more than a contraption needing constant maintenance at the back end of a boat.

If you don't follow the maint schedule with a two stroke you may end up with a gummed carb. If you don't follow it on a 4 stroke you end up with a lump of scrap - and you need to do 4 to 5 times more maintenance on a 4 stroke than a 2 stroke.

Don't get me totally wrong - I might be willing to own a 4 stroke myself - but I'm just not sure what circumstance would have to come about for me to buy one - especially since DFI 2 strokes (such as the Optimax) cost about the same and don't require the same level of maintenance but give you all the same benefits as far as noise, fuel consumption etc with the added bonus that they can kick the snot out of any 4 stroke no matter what level your compare them on....

If you are willing to buy a service manual and learn how to do the regular maintenance yourself, including things like adjusting valves, then maybe owning a 4 stroke is viable - if not, plan on putting the motor in maybe 3 or 4 times a year for service (try that during a short boating season and see how many weeks you lose on the water).

I'm sure you will hear of "some guy" that simply puts gas in his the few long weekends a year that he runs it, but I will bet you that you will run into that "guy" at the dealer come year 5 or 6 looking for a new motor because his is toast and too expensive to repair.

In my opinion 7 or 8 grand is a little expensive for a disposable motor...

You have had a bad experience with a single motor - yes frustrating, but that particular model is a good motor - I wouldn't write it off.

If you are looking for an upgrade you might consider the 75 Optimax, just don't be surprised if to do so would lighten your wallet by another 5 grand (a little less than a 75 4 stroke, but a couple grand more than a 60)...

Regardless of what you decide there is still no escaping the fact that in terms of initial cost, cost/regularity of maintence etc, you can't beat a conventional 2 stroke motor.

Unless you are running 2000 hours a year and keep the motor for a decade you will not actually save enough in terms of gas consumption with a 4 stroke to make up the difference in cost initially - and when you tack on the maintenance, the 4 stroke is really just a money pit...."

"Wow! Great write up Graham!

"Wow! Great write up Graham!
I will check into the 75 Opti. If its too much money, I guess I will have them just replace mine with another like it.
After hearing from you guys, I guess the 2 stroker will be the best.
I will talk with the dealer and see what they and Merc can do for me. I will keep you guys informed. Im taking the boat to them tomorrow."

"UPDATE:
Got the boat out of

"UPDATE:
Got the boat out of the shop yesterday. They said the starting selinoid was bad. They said they took it to the river and got it to act up, then took it to the river after the repair and had no problems.
When I went to pick it up, he told me to take it out when I can and run the fire out of it to make sure it was completely fixed. Well, I did that evening. I took it to the closest lake to home as I could.
When unloading the boat, the motor acted like it was locked up, not wanting to turn ovewr at all, but finally it did. I run it at every throttle position I could and it ran fine. I then decided to turn it off. I let it set for a few minutes and proceeded to start it and it acted like it was completey hydro locked. I went to the back of the boat and took the cover off to see if something was wrong and fire shot out of the motor and engulfed my arm in flames! I threw the cowl in the boat and ran to the front of the boat. The fire was out when I looked at it again. I let it set for a while before I went back to it and I unplugged the fuel line from it. I ended up paddling the boat back because I was afraid to use anything electric.
I took it in this morning and got hot with my dealer and showed him my burnt arm and then called Merc and got even hotter!
I told both of them to take that motor off that boat and put something different back on(I dont want to even see another darn 50 again) or I will persue with legal action.
Nobody has yet called me back to let me know what they plan on doing yet...."

"Jon, take pics of everything

"Jon, take pics of everything and make notes. I would even download these posts, shows you tried.....I'm sorry your having these problems but I do hope they are a reputable dealer. Good luck"

"Mercury called me yesterday e

"Mercury called me yesterday evening. They had decided to replace the motor with a upgrade.
They have shipped out a 75 Optimax out of WI straight to my dealer. It was shipped out yesterday and should be at my dealers door this coming up week, so I should have it for the holiday weekend!
I was really starting to think that I was a sitting duck in this whole thing, but Mercury pulled through. My dealer even told me that he has never seen Merc do anything like this before.
Im excited to get back into the water with hopefully a better motor."

"my 50hp classic is the best m

"my 50hp classic is the best motor I have ever had, I have about 500 hours on it and it still runs like new. But then some owners are better at engines than some. I know how it works and I like the design. Have you ever owned a boat before?"

"I have owned many boats prior

"I have owned many boats prior to this one.
I now have a 75 Opti on my boat and I love it! Its smooth running and very quiet. It really gets up and goes too, but I am still in the break in period, so I cant kick it in WOT yet."

Back