Logo

1982 evinrude 90hp leaking oil from tiny hole on lower unit

steve_bratchie

"Guys,
i changed my lower uni

"Guys,
i changed my lower unit oil about a month ago.Today I had my boat in the driveway and noticed my lower unit is leaking oil (milky yellow color)from the tiny 1/8 inch hole that i beleive usually has water coming from it when I hook uo the earmuffs. Why is this?"

"your gearcase,is leaking...an

"your gearcase,is leaking...and should be entirely re-sealed....from that area,i would say shift rod o ring.....but,it does'nt matter where it is coming from actually,..reseal it complete."

"Really,it may not be leaking

"Really,it may not be leaking from the lower unit.This leakage may be very normal for a 2 stroke.Pressure test the lower unit and do not listen to the " guessers ""

"milky yellow oil is not norma

"milky yellow oil is not normal from there......and i dont consider,.....myself,....a 'GUESSER""

lower unit is leaking oil &#40

lower unit is leaking oil (milky yellow color)from the tiny 1/8 inch hole that i beleive usually has water coming from it

"Thanks guys,
I do not beleiv

"Thanks guys,
I do not beleive this is "normal" for my 2 stroke, since it was never there before, I take the boat out fishing every weekend and trailer it back home then I give it the once over everytime. Is it bad to use it in this condition or should I have my mechanic fix it right away?
Thanks
Steve"

"it needs to be pressure/vacuu

"it needs to be pressure/vacuum checked......if it will leak oil out,..it WILL get water in....pay now,...pay more later....."

"If this oil is coming from th

"If this oil is coming from the water intakes then it will be the drive shaft seals wont it? between the gear case and the water pump allowing oil into the pump and then out of the intakes (and water into the gearcase).

If its the shift rod seal it will allow oil out into the bottom of the leg where it will mix with all the black gunge that,s normally there won't it?

As you say though replace all the seals and O rings etc"

"it reeeeeally does'nt mat

"it reeeeeally does'nt matter where it is leaking.....the fact is,..that it IS,..leaking......if a person just wants to fix the immediate prob,..then pressure test it and see where it bubbles.....bingo....fix it......2 mos ltr,..another one is leaking.....same process,.etc etc......The PROFESSIONAL,..way of dealing w/this MINOR prob,..is reseal the gearcase.....end of discussion.!"

"Thanks guys!
I will take it

"Thanks guys!
I will take it to my boat mechanic and have him change all the seals/gaskets/o rings in the lower unit, as well as change the water pump while he has it. Better to be cautious now and change everything than to have to replace a blown lower unit in the end!"

Back