Logo

Rpms

"I changed over to pertronix e

"I changed over to pertronix electronic from points.Took boat out for a test ride. Port engine ran great took it up to 4800 rpms,starboard engine will only pull 3000 rpms with throttle all the way foward while underway.When I put it into neutral I can get it up to 4000 no problem without putting throttle all the way up.Could his be a adustment on the throttle cable"

Looks more like the ignition t

Looks more like the ignition timing. Have you checked the advance with a timing light? It should be 6º at idle and 32º-36º at 4200 RPM.

"I sent the boat out to a volv

"I sent the boat out to a volvo mechanic because I had a overheat problem also which trned out to be the manifolds.I had to change both engines boy did I get raped.I asked about the rpm they checked out the timeing and said everthing was fine and think the cable may have streched out and needs to be changed.You can push the control all the way foward and the engine will go to tops 3300 rpm when under way, does this sound right."

"I may be missing something ag

"I may be missing something again
blush.gif
but if it were my boat and I suspected a throttle cable problem, I'd open the engine bay while running and look at the throttle angle as compared to the other engine. Then I'd try to advance the lagging throttle manually. I mean, grab hold and twist the sucker towards open. But, that's just me
biggrin.gif
, Oh yeh, make sure someone is up front minding the store while you have your head in the hole.

Is it the Volvo mechanic that did the raping who told you that he believes that the throttle cable may have stretched? Possible i guess, but it sounds like a little more raping to me
crazy.gif

Anyway, let us know how your independent timing check turns out
biggrin.gif

Tom"

"Never, in 45 years of boat ow

"Never, in 45 years of boat ownership and helping MANY friends with their boats have I EVER seen a throttle (push-pull style in a sheath)cable "stretch"... break, stick, have an end pull off, yes...stretch...never.
Run away...Run away!!! find another mechanic!!!"

El Pescador you are the best.I

El Pescador you are the best.I checked item 4 in the diagraham you sent me and you said was probably the problem.Bingo the screws were loose and cable was out of place.Thank you again

Matt

One more question .Is their an

One more question .Is their an adjustment on this cable to give me more throttle.Befor I tightend the cable I could only get 3000 rpms now I can get up to 3800 rpms

"I believe the crank in your c

"I believe the crank in your carburetor where the cable linkage is attached has two holes. If necessary, make sure you use the hole closest to the carburetor.

Next, disconnect the cube (8) from the crank, then bring the control lever to idle, then try to attache the cube again to the carb crabk. You will likely have to change the adjustment (either unscrew or screw further the cube into the cable). Then try again and see if you reach higher RPM.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/ENGINE_SPEED_CONTROL_AQ131A/dm/cart_id.497973580- -category_id.332892--list_time.1215888641--session_id.419359159--store_id.366--v iew_id.324129

One word of caution. If you cannot reach more RPM after the adjustmentas and the butterfly valve in the carb is fully open, that could be an indication that your propeller is too big and is overloading the engine."

"I was back to the mechanic to

"I was back to the mechanic today becaus the boat will not go over 3800 rpm under load,he checked compression it was good ,wires good, says timeing will not advance.He thinks it is the new petronix I installed.He dosent no anything about them.Any thoughts"

I don't believe that pertr

I don't believe that pertronics module has anything to do with advancing timing unless it is binding something under the distributor cap. Sounds like you need to service the counterweights in your distributor. What engine do you have? You may also consider fining another mechanic.

"I would check to see if the b

"I would check to see if the bolts are to long, on the pertronic ignition, and not letting the mechanical advance work on you distributor."

"Yo matteo, we are all waiting

"Yo matteo, we are all waiting with baited breath to hear how you are making out with your lack of RPM!"

Actually on Sunday I sprayed P

Actually on Sunday I sprayed PB blaster under the plate inside the distributor.Today tues I went to the beach and still only could get 3000 rpm then on the way back out of no where I got 4000 rpms.I guess the piece my friend told me was probably coroded broke loose and started to work.I will let you know what happens when he checks it out

Ok my friend pulled the distri

Ok my friend pulled the distributor and the counterweights in werent moving all corroded.He took it home with him to soak and clean everything up.Says this should solve my problems.Also he had a hard times getting the distributor out so he sprayed brake cleaner around it.It broke loose pretty fast after that

"I believe your friend is righ

"I believe your friend is right. An engine with a dizzy with no advance will run like ....well, you know what I mean.
biggrin.gif

I'm glad you found the problem and are about to fix it for good.
thumbs_up.gif
"

Back