Logo

90 Yam 50 wonbt run put to much oil in the gas tankwhat can i do

R

Robert Bryant

" Good morning. I have an int

" Good morning. I have an interesting question for anyone that can help me. I recently had my engine rebuilt. As part of the break-in procedure I accidentally added entirely to much oil to the gas tank ( the engine is oil injected as well). Consequently, the motor fired briefly, left a huge cloud of smoke in my backyard and then shut off. I wouldn't crank back up. I removed the oil / gas mixture and added 6 new gallons of gas to the existing 1 or so gallon of gas / oil mixture and replaced the plugs in it and still cannot get it to fire. Besides taking it the 90 miles I took it to get it fixed the first time, do you have any advise for me to get the motor running? "

" Try removing the spark plugs

" Try removing the spark plugs and cleaning them with carb cleaner, then crank the engine with spark plugs removed,reinstall and try again. You probably still have a lot af oil in the crankcase that must be flushed through. You may have to repeat this procedure several times before the engine will run properly. "

" Tom,

I tried that once a

" Tom,

I tried that once already and turned the engine over for about 20 seconds - did that 3 times - It was blowing some oil out, but by the time I was finished cranking it without the plugs in it there seemed to be no more oil coming out. Even after that I put new plugs in it. I mean it does not even try to fire - I can smell gas, that is about it. It almost sounds as if the kill switch is pulled on it. (it isn't - I already checked) I guess I will repeat the process again. Thanks for your help.
Robert "

" Robert,
Make sure that you

" Robert,
Make sure that you are getting spark. I have seen this problem many times-Several times I have gone on service calls to a customers boat to find that he had put the oil in the fuel tank before putting the gas in which had filled the carbs with oil...and the engine would not start. I used the procedure I suggested to you to start the engine. You may have to drain the carbs to get the engine to keep running. Try it!
Tom "

" tom,

got it running - di

" tom,

got it running - did what you said. it was puring out blue smoke though - guess the gas is still pretty rich. i will take it out this weekend and break it in and put more gas in the tank. thanks for your help.. "

" Glad I could help-It's g

" Glad I could help-It's good to hear the results of my advice were good. It's often the case that I give advice and never hear from the person seeking help, not knowing whether or not the cure worked.
Tom "

" Tom,

Got another issue..

" Tom,

Got another issue.. I took my boat out yesterday to break it in. I idled it for about 10 minutes and picked it up to about 2200 rpms for about another 15 or so. It was doing fine until I tried to get it up on a plane. It started making sounds as if it "wasn't hitting on all cylinders." I suspected the plugs were fouled - when I got home they were black - it this why it wouldn't get up? Also, how do I prevent the plugs from fouling again? I gapped them at .34 - that is what the plugs were gapped at when I got it from the shop? Please help.

Robert "

According to my book the plug

According to my book the plugs should be NGK B8HS-10 and gapped to .040-Not .34- that would be 1/3 of an inch! WOW! Replace the plugs and try again. Is the water pump working? The engine will revert to about 2500 RPMs if any warning alarm were to sound-if the alarm is working and seem to be running erratically. I wish I could see and run the engine-I could really help then!
Tom

thanks again Tom.. I will cha

thanks again Tom.. I will change the plugs and try it again. I don't believe the warning alarm is working - hence the reason it blew up before. The water pump is new and working fine. I will change the gap and give it another try..

Robert

" Tom,

I changed the gap o

" Tom,

I changed the gap on the plugs to .40 per your recommendations. I started it up (on the water hose) and it idled a little rough in the beginning - still smoking a lot - then idled smoothly - still smoking - is it possible that the rich mixture is settling at the bottom of the tank and that is what is getting "sucked" into the engine first? I would imagine that it is only a matter of time before I run all of the oil heavy gas out of the tank - at the expense of changing the plugs every time - does this sound correct?

Robert "

" It sounds like you are now b

" It sounds like you are now burning off the excess oil left in the system and crankcase. If it continues to give you trouble you may try removing the carb drain plugs, then pump the primer bulb until fuel flows from the bowl drains. This will make a mess. Have plenty of absorbent rags handy to catch the spilled fuel. When it is clean, not oily rich, replace the drain plugs. DO NOT start the engine until all of the spilled fuel and fuel vapor is gone. This should give you clean fuel at the proper ratio, assuming you have mixed it properly. "

" Tom,

I think I have gott

" Tom,

I think I have gotten to the point of having to take the boat in and have a professional look at it. I took it out Saturday, and to no avail, it wouldn't get up on a plane. Still going into "slow mode" at 2500 rpms. It still smokes, but not as bad - I am really discouraged, as I thought I would be able to take care of this problem on my own. Now I guess all that is left is a 2 hour drive from Orlando to Crystal River. Thanks again for all of your help. "

" Well at least there's a

" Well at least there's a very good Yama shop in Hommasassa-check them out-Homasassa Marine I believe is their name.
Tom (Archer, Fl 7 miles west of Gainesville) "

Back