Logo

Fuel Everywhere 1978 140HP Evinrude Outboard

danjmartin

" Can use a little help here..

" Can use a little help here....

While operating my outboard I noticed it using A LOT of fuel. When I opened the cowling, there is fuel all over the front of the motor (note, I changed the fuel pump and all the fuel hoses a couple of months back).

The fuel appears to be coming from the carburetor (pouring out the front - I want to call it the flame arrestor). Why/how would this happen? I also noticed the plugs are getting fouled. Does this have any connection? It appears the carbs are not regulating the fuel flow and just pumping the fuel, into the motor and out the front of the carbs) as fast as the fuel pump sends it to the carbs.

What can I do here to troubleshoot/fix this problem?

Any ideas? "

" sounds like you may have a s

" sounds like you may have a sttuck float ,the carbs need to be rebuilt ,a fuel tank problem or maybe even broke or cracked reed valves. would suggest that you take it to a pro "

" i wish i COULD take it to so

" i wish i COULD take it to someone.. the motor is so old, no one around here (new jersey) will touch it...

any other suggestions? "

Sounds like a stuck float. I

Sounds like a stuck float. I would get a manual on the motor and take the carb apart its probably just gunked up. Its pretty easy to do just remember how it all came apart. I would draw a diagram of the linkage if the book dosnt show a good picture. The parts of the carb itself are pretty easy to figure out. I think your motor has 2 carbs if so do one at a time and refer to the other for reasembly. If you have any mechanical ability I would recomend doing it yourself. If you take it to an expert they will charge you a lot for a little and you wont learn anything.

"Dan.... Remove the carburetor

"Dan.... Remove the carburetor face plate so that you can look directly into the carburetor throats, then pump the fuel primer bulb. If fuel flows out the carburetor(s), the carburetor is obviously flooding. The solution would be to remove the carb(s), clean and rebuild them with a complete carburetor kit(s).

If you're anywhere near Vineland, NJ, give my good friend Harry Nitsche a call at 856-691-9498. He owns and operates a dealership called the Boat Docktor at 712 S. West Blvd, Vineland ,NJ. 08360. I worked with Harry for quite a number of years before I moved to Florida. He's one of the best and I feel sure he will correct your problem if you're in that area. If you do that, be sure to tell him that Joe Reeves sent you.

Joe
"

I am in Vineland and have fou

I am in Vineland and have found the shortest wait for service and excellent reputation from Mariner Marine on Rt. 47 about 20 in. south of Vineland. His # is 856-785-5001. My office is 2 blocks from the Boat Doktor and he is always busy.
Mariner Marine is attached to Barnacle Bills Supply an Evinrude/Johnson parts supplier.

Back