Logo

Merc trim motor replacement

J

jkw

I am replacing a trim motor a

I am replacing a trim motor and pump for 1986 90 hp merc which calls for a arco # 6278 part. I have removed the motor but the pump will not come out of the housing . Could you offer any suggestions on removal .There are allen screws in the housing .Do these hold the pump in place?

jim

" The pump and motor should co

" The pump and motor should come out of the trim unit as one piece, if you have the three ram system-one center tilt ram and two smaller trim rams. Remove the allen screws to remove the motor and pump assy. "

I have a 1989 90hp mercury. D

I have a 1989 90hp mercury. Do you have to take the outboard off the boat to get at the back allen screw to remove the power trim drive motor?

"You will need to remove the s

"You will need to remove the starboard(right) side engine mount bracket. First release the trim pressure by turning the release screw on the lower starboard side about three turns CCW. Now raise the engine manually and support it with the support bracket. Remove the starboard engine mount bolts, the steering cable nut must be backed out but the cable can stay in the tube. The tilt tube retaining nut should be backed out and slid back on the steering cable. Remove the three trim mount bolts from the bracket. Now slide the bracket out to the side and you will have access to the pump and motor. Don't worry about the engine being supported by one bracket-it will support itself, but I would not move the boat with it this way. The pump and motor will come out as a unit. If you go to a dealer for the motor they will quote about $975.00 for the part, However I can sell that motor only for $375.00-new with warranty and detailed instructions. For more info email me directly [email protected]
Tom"

Back