Logo

Hard shifting into neutral

R

Rick Gaines

" I have a 98 Merc 40 outboard

" I have a 98 Merc 40 outboard. Recently, it has become very hard to shift into neutral. Engine rpm seems normal at 750 - same since I bought it 2 years ago. No obvious shift cable binding observed - mechanic used petron to lube both the shift and throttle cable. Any ideas?? "

"Rick,

There is a detente t

"Rick,

There is a detente tang on the starboard side of the horizontal shift shaft. Sometimes this arrangement can bind, causing hard shifting.

"

" Hi Tonyob:

Thanks for the

" Hi Tonyob:

Thanks for the tip. I checked the tang and greased the bottom of it thinking if it were dry, the friction would cause hard shifting. I did not remove it (didn't bring the right tool for the job - maybe tommorrow's project). The horizontal shaft looks to be well greased wherever it runs through a bushing. So far no noticeable improvement. Checked cable adjustment - seems correct. Only other thought is it's getting colder here in CT, maybe that's contributing factor?? "

"Rick,

I think you should c

"Rick,

I think you should check the gear oil in the lower unit just to be safe.

Lossen the bottom plug until some oil runs out and see if there is any sign of water in the oil.

You can also disconnect the shift cable and try moving the shift lever by hand to see if you detect any binding. Sometimes the shift rod can bind where it enters the gearcase.

"

" Hi Tonyob,

I'm going

" Hi Tonyob,

I'm going to pull the boat this weekend so I can check the gear oil. I did disconnect the cable to move the shift lever by hand. It seems OK, but I'm not sure anymore what it should feel like. One thing that's interesting is that it seems to shift from neutral into gear much easier than shifting into neutral from in gear. And my engine rpms are more like 800-900 when at idle. Maybe that's too high. Anyway, barring a miracle, I'll be dropping the boat off at my favorite mechanics' place next week. "

Back