Logo

1964 Johnson 55hp CD21 problem

J

Jeff Lewis

" I just recently replaced the

" I just recently replaced the points/condensers on this motor and afterwards a problem that did not exist before showed up. When I turn the throttle handle to the start position and then pull the starter rope, the handle turns back to the stop position. What could be causing this and is it related to changing the points/condensers?
Thanks, Jeff "

"Jeff.... If you by any chance

"Jeff.... If you by any chance loosened the screws that retain the coils, you did not put the coils back where they belong, and they are hitting the flywheel magnets. Notice at the edge of the coils where they seat on the armature plate (the plate that retains the coils, points, etc)... the top of the plate where the coils sit upon it has a slight bevel. The outer edge of the coils must line up with the top edge of that bevel, otherwise the coils stick out too far and hit the flywheel.

Now, if you didn't move those coils... you would have had to run the condenser wires up or out towards the flywheel in some manner that they are hitting the flywheel, or you installed the wrong condensers that are too tall. Use either condenser OMC #580321 or 581419. When you pull the manual starter, you're turning the flywheel, the flywheel hits the condenser wires, coils, (something) on that armature plate. When that happens, the flywheel grabs the armature plate, and turns it, the armature plate is linked to the throttle handle via that vertical rod on the port side of the powerhead. Bottom line... take the flywheel back off to see what's hitting it.

Joe
"

Back