Logo

95 Evinrude Tiller grip wonbt twist

J

Jim Masters

" Throttle grip frozen on till

" Throttle grip frozen on tiller 9.5 evinrude. Correct MD # is 9922s; SN is E14338. Linkage seems ok inside unit. There is approx. 1/2 inch of free play, but won't twist. Inside, the motor wants to move. Can statically move the shift lever. Motor recently given to me. Please, need year of motor? too! Any ideas? "

"Jim... The engine is a 1969 9

"Jim... The engine is a 1969 9.5hp Evinrude. Free play is generally thought of as a push/pull type movement. I assume however that you're speaking of the turning movement? If so, and since you are shifting the engine, by any chance is the shift/timing lock out mechanism restricting the timer base under the flywheel in neutral? That's the normal operating setup. Note that when attempting to shift the engine, either spin the prop or turn the flywheel to have the shifter dog properly engage the gears. The throttle handle can only be turned to its fullest position when the engine is fully in forward gear. If the shaft on the tiller handle is frozen, the only solution is to dismantle the handle, clean, and grease it. I must admit that I don't understand your problem fully. Could you elaborate somewhat on it?

Joe
"

" Joe,
The base, containing t

" Joe,
The base, containing the coils. I noticed that throttle is advanced by the cam lobe to the carb.
The cam will not move. How do I remove the base where the coils reside. The removel of coils/ect is not the issuse, just the frozen base/cam.
Jim "

"Jim..... The base that the co

"Jim..... The base that the coils etc are attached to is called a armature plate (I have no idea why) and is attached to the retaining rings by four (4) philip screws (usually philip screws). You'll see two of those screws at the inner portion of the coils, and two more at the opposite end of the coils down on the armature plate.

I'm assuming that you know how to remove the flywheel but if not... remove the nut, attach a puller type where you can use the three threaded holes near the crankshaft area to anchor the puller. If you don't have the proper type puller, you can back off the nut until it's flush with the top of the crankshaft, then apply pressure under the flywheel with a large screwdriver or some such object, then rap the top of that nut sharply. The flywheel should pop loose within two or three raps/taps. Use caution that you do not damage the c/s threads. Hopefully this is the info you need. If not, get back to me.

Joe
`"

" Joe,
You were correct, afte

" Joe,
You were correct, after removing the four Phillips-head screws that secures the armature plate (screws located approx.(~), 1/2 inch from the crankshaft), I still can not budge the armature plate. I believe that the plate is rotated too far clockwise (cw), from the idle position. The cam on the armature plate in relation to the throttle actuator is 1/2 inch away from touching the throttle actuator. To restate the problems:
(1). Can not advance/retard the armature plate (rotated), even with the linkage removed. And can't remove the armature plate. Do you have any ideas why this plate won't rotate?
(2) Small spring- ~1 inch long (total length), diameter ~1/4 inch, located ~ 3 inchs ahead of the carb, one end attached to the lower housing. Where does the other end go? "

"Jim... If you don't see a

"Jim... If you don't see anything obvious interfering with it, I would strongly suspect that it is simply frozen due to sitting. If you're absolutely sure that you have the philip head screws backed out all the way, tap that armature plate up and off.

The slow speed adjustable jet on that engine should be the type that has a flexible extension from the carburetor to the front panel. That spring simply hooks over the flexible portion to hold it down and out of the way.

Joe
"

Back