Logo

Winterizing

bill50

I bought a 20' ProLine Wa

I bought a 20' ProLine Walk around with a Mercury 150 outboard motor this past spring. I would like to winterize it myself to save money. I am handy with cars but haven't done work on boat motors. Can anyone suggest the proper procedure to prepare my boat & motor for winter? Any help and suggestions will be appreciated. I live in the New England area and will lay up my boat from Oct. - May. Thanks!

" drain all of the water out o

" drain all of the water out of it . grab some fogging oil . run it through the carbs until it stalls , coat the whole motor in wd40 , grease all the fittings , spray down all the linkages (throttle etc) . this is the way i have always done it and i have never had a problem . "

I suggest also draining the l

I suggest also draining the lower end unit...check for water and refill with new appropriate gear lube. I also remove each plug and squirt a shot of mystery oil in each cylinder. I then give the engine a quick turn of the key to lube the cylinder walls. Done this since 1983 without a problem and live on salt water in NE

Back