Logo

Lower Unit replace seals 1995 Evinrude 48hp

wish2fish

Regular Contributor
"Lower Unit replace seals 1995

"Lower Unit replace seals 1995 Evinrude 48hp

I have almost completed my lower unit seal replacement. I have done the top seals (water pump, shift rod, etc) and replaced the screws. I am down to replacing the propshaft seal. I used Evinrude reseal kit #433550 as indicated in my parts manual. I removed back to back seals, but only have a single seal unit left. this seal appears to make a double seal as it has two springs in it. Is this the correct part? I assume I install the fatter end first, is that correct?"

I forgot this also.
How do yo

I forgot this also.
How do you make sure you have the shift linkage connected to the propshaft properly?

thanks

"You are correct on the propsh

"You are correct on the propshaft seal direction...With the shift rod installed, can you pull/push the shift rod to go into gear?..Make sure that you have the shift rod height correct..this is important..."

"I when connecting the shift r

"I when connecting the shift rod I did the 9 turns like the manual said, so I hopefully will be close. I still don't have the bearing carrier in yet so I don't know if this effect any thing, but when I move the shift rod up down the propshaft move in and out? is that correct (normal)?
Thanks"

"Completele the re-assembly an

"Completele the re-assembly and then see how the unit shifts...The shift rod height is given in inches and the correct place to measure from is in the manual for your motor...If no manual, then re-post on here and some one will look it up for you and pass the info on to you..."

"Okay, I got everything back t

"Okay, I got everything back together and I did have a measurement listed in my manual but there was about 1/3 inch play between forward and reverse gear so I split the difference.

When I put the lower unit back on and bolted everything back up I am having a little problem with the forward and reverse. When I shift the throttle a little into forward or a little into reverse I get a little surging and clunking sound like it is having problems getting into gear. If a move the throttle further forward there doesnt seem to be a problem.

Is this just a minor adjustment or do I have to pull everything apart again?"

"Look for slop in your linkage

"Look for slop in your linkage...never "ease" a lower unit into gear...shift it in fast,and all of the way..."

"Tom,
thanks for the response

"Tom,
thanks for the response. You'll have to help me out here. What do you mean by slop in the linkage? How many of the round seals are there inside the exhaust housing that act as guides for the shift rod? When I pulled the lower unit there was one came from inside exhaust housing. I figured it was left from previous work. Is it just 1 top and 1 bottom?

Maybe I didn't describe my shifting properly. I'm simply talking about shifting from neutral to the first position or idle speed of each gear! Never had a problem with it prior."

"I think I just notice what mi

"I think I just notice what might be my problem. Please look at the attached 2 pictures.

I think my shaft looked like this at the left end.
20811.jpg
shaft without"">

My manual shows this cradle which I did not see.
It might have fallen off down in the gearcase.
20812.jpg
shaft with"">

This is probaly why I had the little play when in neutral.

Hoping I haven't done any damage. I will pull every thing apart again and try and find this shift cradle.

When I get everything apart does the propshaft slide out after removing the propshaft bearing? Looking at the manual it looks like it might! Do you have some suggestions or ideas for me?"

It was the cradle. I got it c

It was the cradle. I got it corrected today and it shifts just like before. no lower unit leak and water pump works great!

Thanks to everyone who has helped me through this process.

Back