Logo

MELTING RECTIFIER

G

Gary S.

"I have a 35 Evinrude (198

"I have a 35 Evinrude (1980). I just replaced the solenoid because the old one would not do anything but click and would not allow current through it to the starter. In testing the old one with a (like an idiot) pair of jumper cables, the rectifier started smoking and oozing briefly. Does it now need replacing? Motor will now turn over(w/new solenoid) when I turn the ignit. over (for testing, not to try to start) but did not see smoke, but am afraid to get it on the water just to be let down due to a now damaged rectifier. Also, this boat has "sat up" for 3 yrs so what needs to be done to get it in running condition (replace plugs, carb kit, other)? My daddy took very good care of it before he died. I'm ready to go fishing! THANKS!"

I connected the neg of the jum

I connected the neg of the jumper cable to the right side post of the solenoid and touched the pos to the red wire left side several times. The motor would turn then started smoking. Any advice on this and the "tune up" part of my quest.? Thanks.

"The large post on one side of

"The large post on one side of the solenoid goes to the battery cable. The large post on the other side of the solenoid goes to the starter. The small terminal on the solenoid with the black lead is a ground, the other goes to the key switch. With the black lead grounded, 12v on the other small lead "throws the switch" between the battery lead and the starter lead. If you connected a ground cable to the battery lead, you would have had fireworks."

"Getting back to your question

"Getting back to your question, rectifiers don't seem to stand up to all that much abuse. I'm willing to bet your has gone south. I don't have my manual handy, but the factory manual shows you how to check it with an ohm meter pretty easily."

Back