Logo

1995 50hp Johnson wonbt keep running fuel problem

acetas

"Tried to get a 1995 50hp John

"Tried to get a 1995 50hp Johnson running; not successful. Can turn the red primer arrow to the left (CCW) to prime the carbs, and then back CW to the detented (normal) position, and the engine will start right up and run for just a few seconds until it has used up that primed amount of fuel. Tried using what seems to be the electric choke/prime capability on the ignition switch (pressing the switch in while the engine was running) to see if I could keep it running. No luck; it did not seem to make any difference as to whether the ignition switch was pressed in or not. Tried squeezing the gas line primer bulb while the engine was running, and that did not seem to help either. When I get it to start and run a few seconds with the manual primer (red lever), the exhaust has blue smoke in it, so it looks like the automatic oil mixing system is functioning, insofar as mixing in the oil with the gas going to the primer solenoid is concerned. The carbs were both rebuilt last year (by a licensed outboard motor tech, but the boat has not been in the water since they were rebuilt). I tried to start it last fall, and got the same response as I am getting now, but I don't have any operator's or service manual on the motor (I bought it "used"). I did get it to start for a few seconds by turning the red lever (I figured it was some sort of manual choke, but did not know exactly how it functioned or in what position it should be left for normal operation), and since I did not have a manual for it, I decided to leave it until I had more time to check it out further(which is now, some 7 months later!). It could be that both of the carb float needle valves are stuck in the closed position, but I doubt that is the most likely cause of my problem. Is there a relatively easy way to check to see if the bowls are getting filled? Is there a way that fuel could be getting to the primer solenoid but not to the normal fuel input port on the carb? I find it difficult to believe that the couple of carb bowls of fuel each would be able to produce enough "varnish" to clog up both the low and hi speed jets on both carbs, to the point that the engine would not run at all with no load... but perhaps that's the case. Any recommendations? Thanks."

The primer selnoid puts gas st

The primer selnoid puts gas straight into the carb throats and doesn't come thru the carbs. Start with the basics and remove your fuel line from the pump and see if fuel is getting to the pump by squeezing the bulb. If it is work your way all the way to the carbs useing this method.
If it is getting to the carbs and not into the float bowl then the carb is the problem.
Yes 2 months is long enough for fuel to gum up a carb and seven monthes is long enough for fuel to sour.
Ck Your chok selnoid to see if it is working by turning on the key and pushing in and see if you can hear it click. Don't engage the starter while doing this. YUou can't hear it with the starter engaged.
And by all means get you a manuel this is a must.

"Thanks for the prompt respons

"Thanks for the prompt response, Willard.

I'm going to get me a manual as soon as I can figure out what manual(s) I need, and where I can get them at the most reasonable cost.

I'm sure glad that you told me that the primer put raw gas (no oil!) into the carb throats. I hope I did not damage the engine as I kept using the manual primer feature to get it to start and run for a few seconds while I tried different things like holding in the ignition switch and in squeezing the gasline primer bulb while it was running... :<(

Surely do appreciate your help!"

Back