Logo

Hello Need help with 30 on 1996 Bayliner 185

zebandceri

Last year I purchased a 96 bay

Last year I purchased a 96 bayliner with a 3.0 GM merc in it and am now getting it ready for the boating season here in Northern California (temp 75-90 on average). I need to change the oil can someone tell me what type of oil I should use? Also should I change the transmission oil? And if so what is involved in that process? Thanks much novice boat owner.

"Here we go again...

1)

"Here we go again...

1) Buy the book.
2) Any API approved multigrade engine oil will do. I would recommend SAE 40, 10W-40 will work just fine as well. (Can't wait to start the sythetic oil argument again!)
BTW, you'll find it much easier to suck the oil out of the engine with a pump through the dipstick tube than to try to reach the drain plug and make a mess in the bilge.
3) Change the oil filter and the fuel water seperator/filter.
4) When was the last time the water pump impeller in the outdrive was changed? If the answer is "I don't know." replace it. If the answer is "What's an impeller?", buy the book.
5) Yes, you should change the outdrive (AKA transmission) oil. Don't change it until you replace the impeller, otherwise you'll get to change the oil twice. Use gear oil, 85W-90. You need a pump to fill the outdrive from the bottom up. (available at West Marine or Boater's World... about $10)
6) Grease everything that moves and/or has a zerc fitting. Use marnie grade (water wash resistant) grease.
7) Check the zincs. Replace any that are more than 50% gone.
8) Buy the book.

Did I miss anything?"

"I just ordered the repair man

"I just ordered the repair manual should be here any day. Sounds a bit intimidating (out drive change anyway) but the dealer here wants $350 to change all the oil, filters, and prep it for use. Is that a reasonable price? One last question I am looking at getting the rubber device (not sure the name..I am new at this) you hook up to the hose then clamp to your water intake so I can run the engine from time to time is there a certain type I need or are they universal and where would I look for one? Thanks again!"

"The device you're referin

"The device you're refering to is commonly called 'ear muffs' or 'rabbit ears'. They are pretty standard. Just make sure it says it'll fit mercruiser sterndrives. West Marine and Boater's World have them; I've seen them in Wal Mart too. DO NOT run the engine without cooling water... even for short periods.
$350 is a lot of gas money for probably $100 worth of parts and supplies if you do the work yourself. There's nothing dificult about the work. Plus, if you do it yourself, you eliminate the "I wonder what work really got done" piece of it.
There are plenty of reputable folks out there doing good work on boats for reasonable money. There are half again as many that are somewhat less honorable. The boat service industry can be a pretty lucrative raquet for exactly the reason you stated above. The work seems intimidating. A lot of people are afraid of it. If you do find a good mechanic and you're willing to pay the price, you should also get some kind of guarentee period for the work they accomplish."

Back