Logo

Blown head gasket

W

Will C.

"Hello I have a 1979 reinell c

"Hello I have a 1979 reinell cabin cruiser with a ford 302 with about 400 hrs . It has a lot of water in the oil. Hear is the story at first it was running hot very close to over heating so after some testing I determined that the raw water pump impeller was bad but boat my is in the water so I used an external volvo style water pump through a hole in my transom and spliced into the cooling system.

Now my manifolds stay warm but cool enough to touch, but my guage still goes up rather far and there is water in my oil. and lots of moisture comes out of my pcv hose when I unplug it, and out of my spark arrestor, moisture not blow by.

I run a heat exchanger with a pressure release cap and it never releases. Is that because it is releasing pressure/coolant into the crankcase?

Would a leak down test tell me if it is a head gasket.

I changed the oil but it still looks milky

thanks, will"

"Well I had it run for about a

"Well I had it run for about an hour and in the morning I warmed it up again and checked the oil and it looked normal. and the steam seemed to have gone away. I think the engine runs warm because I intalled an auto 180 thermostat, Is there a cooler one I can get? I tried it without one at all but my temp guage never moved. I also did a leak down test on the coolant system and it looked good. I think maybe there was just a lot of moisture in the oil from so little use over the rainy season.

thanks, will"

I'd say you're one luc

I'd say you're one lucky guy! And I'd leave the 180 stat in there since you have a FWC system. Better gas mileage.

Jeff

Back