Logo

Propshaft housing removal

mbryan714

"My boat is a 26' Seaswirl

"My boat is a 26' Seaswirl Striper w/a, Volvo Penta SX Cobra. I'm trying to replace the propshaft seals. I have followed the shop manual and have done everything step by step up to unscrewing the propshaft housing. The manual says to use the propshaft housing remover/installer tool to unscrew the propshaft housing counter clockwise. I invested in the tool, used liquid wrench to help disolve corrosion, and used a wrench with a 3' handle. I can't get it to budge. I tried turning clockwise just to see if it would break free. No luck. I'm not sure about applying heat with a propane torch to try and free it. In my line of work we will do that to free rusted pipes. But I'm concerned about the seals and bearings. It seems as if the propshaft housing is seized or I have'nt applied enough torque. Is there something I'm missing, or hav'nt tried. Has anyone else had this problem. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. I can attach pics of lower unit and the tool if needed."

"If you're referring to th

"If you're referring to the bearing carrier, there may be a stainless washer inside of the carrier retainer with a tab that's bent into the slots in the retainer. If it has this (and I don't know because you didn't say anything about the age of the drive), you need to bend it out of the way before turning the retainer. There is also a carrier removal tool, separate from the retainer wrench.

This isn't a rusted pipe, so don't use a torch."

Sorry about not listing the ag

Sorry about not listing the age. It's 1997. The shop manual calls it the "propshaft bearing housing". Thank you very much for the reply. Please let me know if this is the year unit you mean. I didn't see a washer or anything locking it in. Thanks again.

Back