Logo

1998 Optimax fuel issue

nautigator

"I have a pair of 150 Opti&#39

"I have a pair of 150 Opti's and one of them wouldn't crank. I isolated the issue to lack of fuel. I could hear one of the motors' pump prime the system and then shut off. The other nothing. While tracing the circuits I found a burnt/melted fuse. I replaced the fuse and the pump would prime and the engine would fire and run. I read somewhere on the net that the fuel pressure should be 90 psi and the air pressure should be 80. The measurements I recorded were 80 & 80. I ran the motor about 15 mins and checked the fuse, it was very warm approaching hot. I am fair to partly dangerous when it comes to wiring, so I am sure this means either the connections are poor or the pump is drawing way too much current. I checked the resistance from the fuse holder to the connection closest to the fuel pump. It measured 0.01ohm. I am figuring that to be acceptable. Next, I connected the pump back up and connected my fluke across the fuse socket to measure the load the pump is using. At idle, it draws roughly 12.5 amps, if I pick the RPMs up to about 2,000, it reads just over 15 amps. I repeated this test on the other motor and found the draw to be about 3.5 amps. I don't have much knowledge of these motors, but I feel the pump needs replacing. My question is have I isolated this properly? Am I missing something? How difficult is it to R&R? Any and all insight and thoughts are welcome. Also, any thoughts on where to get the replacement part from?

Thanks."

"Mike,

It sounds like you h

"Mike,

It sounds like you have found the problem. It is not a tough job, but that pump is pricey. I think you have to get that from a Mercury dealer.

Tony"

"Tony,
Thanks for the inpu

"Tony,
Thanks for the input. After talking to an Electrical Engineer buddy of mine, we decided that if this wasn't the problem, it soon would be. I replaced the pump this afternoon and the motor runs great. It reads 90 psi like it should on the fuel and 80 of air."

Back