Logo

5hp Sea King Question

jesse_williams

"I posted this message 2 times

"I posted this message 2 times was not sure exactly where to put it.

I just purchase a use boat with a 5hp Sea King on it. The guy i bought it from just had this boat sitting for a while and does not know the year of the motor so i thought i will just drop a line on here to see what year it was.

There are only 2 numbers listed on the plate.
Model # GG8960A
Serial # 75X662705

Also stamped on the plate is Montgomery Ward.

I am looking for a place to get parts if needed and a service manual if there is one.

This motor also has the cable pulley steering kit along with it. I was wondering if there was a diagram showing where and how these pullys should be attached. The steering system is attached to the motor right now, so is the throttle control and the forward neutral and reverse cables. Kinda funny seeing the tiller handle on it as well. The guy told me it was a kid you could buy for these types of motors. It is attached to a 14ft fiberglass tri-hal/jon boat.

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated. I noticed Andrew was the main one who answers questions. Great website and keep up the good work.

Thank you
Jesse Williams"

"Jesse,

GG8960A is a 5HP fr

"Jesse,

GG8960A is a 5HP from 1957. Made by GALE for MW.

We sell the parts catalog for it... but I'm not sure how useful the part numbers will be.

Many of the Johnson/Evinrude parts for the same year and hp may work.

Sorry I don't know about your steering system.

BTW I answer far fewer questions than many of the regulars here..."

Thanks Andrew for the answers.

Thanks Andrew for the answers. I thought I had heard that Johnson/Evinrude parts would fit this motor. Looking to see if I can get a fuel pump for the motor since it only has a 1 gallon tank i believe and I will be fishing tourneys in this boat with the motor. Does anyone know where i could get a fuel pump for this motor.

hi i have 5hp sea king model#

hi i have 5hp sea king model# GG8960A serial#75x657900 and i was just wondering how much it would be worth if i was to sell it

"You have a 1957 motor, made b

"You have a 1957 motor, made by the Gale division of OMC. It shares a lot of common parts with the Johnson/Evinrudes of the same period. You would be disappointed with the collectable value of the motor, as it wouldn't be much. There were tons of them made, and there are still lots of them out there. If it is a good running motor, it would make a good fishing or backup motor. I have a 1955 Viking (Viking's were exactly the same engines as Seaking's, but sold by Eaton's Canada instead of Montgomery Ward) that was given to me for free when the water pump impeller failed. It is in great cosmetic shape and runs well. I could probably sell it for about $100, but it runs too good for that so I'll keep it around and use it for a while."

Back