Logo

1995 Mariner 115 HP

fhp6

"While idling back to the dock

"While idling back to the dock I began to receive a steady audible alarm and the amber light on the dash illuminated. I shut off the engine and checked for overheating. I touched all four cyls and they were basically warm to the touch. The oil level was good. From reading previous posts on this forum, even though I did not see any specific posts for a 1995 Mariner, it seems that I may have a faulty sending unit or faulty buzzer. The buzzer I can find in the control lever housing but where is the sending unit? I have ordered a service manual but have not yet received it.
Thank you,
Mike"

"Mike,

There is a float in

"Mike,

There is a float in the oil tank with a magnet attatched, and a magnetic switch in the bottom of the tank. The problem is probably the magnet on the float.

Tony"

"Tony, I took your suggestion

"Tony, I took your suggestion and my tools to the marina today. I began trouble shooting the alarm problem. Turns out it was the oil warning module had shorted internally. Oil tank was fine.
As you probably know the module is sealed and basically no way to repair it. I had to replace it. Got the part from a Mercury dealer, installed it and problem cured.
I also replaced the impeller just to be on the safe side. For what it's worth I have owned this engine since 1996 and never had a problem with it before. The impeller was the original and was still in extremely good condition. Probably did not need to be replaced but I erred on the safe side. Thanks for your assistance.
Mike"

Back