Logo

b76 johnson 6hp magneto plate

waltgi8

"I found a 6hp Johnson 6R76 OB

"I found a 6hp Johnson 6R76 OB sunk in a lake while fishing last year. It seemed to be in surprisingly good condition and even fired with a bit of starting fluid. So I tore it down and ordered new electrical parts and a few other items. I finally got around to putting the points, coils and condensers in but when I trie to adjust the points there was a lot of side-to-side play in the mag plate. I took the plate off and the only thing I can figure is the Brass bushing is really worn. I dont have any measurements to check but setting the points is virtually impossible. I assume there should basically be no play between the bushing in the mag plate and the case hub it fits over. Am I going to be replacing the mag plate? I'm wondering if the motors worth another $190. And I did just order the shop manual hoping it may give me some dimensions for the bushing."

"(Magneto Armature Plate&#

"(Magneto Armature Plate)
(J. Reeves)

If the armature plate has a a loose fitting, wobbling motion (the plate that the points, coils etc are attached to), it is usually caused by a slightly worn support ring. This allows the point setting to change erratically as the armature plate turns.

The cure is to remove the armature plate so that the support which is attached to the powerhead with 4 screws is visible. Then, with a screwdriver and hammer, or some tool of your choosing, and looking straight down at the support ring, make an indentation at what would be called the 12, 3, 6, and 9 O'clock positions. Install the armature plate and check for a smooth turning wobble free movement.

You may need to do that procedure a few times to obtain the proper fit (not too tight, not too loose), but it's worth the effort."

"Thats a neat trick Joe, I&#39

"Thats a neat trick Joe, I'll definitely give that a try when I remount the plate. However, the problem I'm having is not a wobble but a side-to-side play. I mic'd the hub OD that the brass bushing in the plate fits over and its 1.682 +/- .001 inches. The ID of the brass bushing is 1.690 -> 1.700 inches (out of round). This gives me up to .020 movement of the plate. I can open the points up to .020 without any adjustment just by moving the plate left to right. I dont know how the bushing could wear this much since it only moves with the spark advance and nothing is spinning in it. It would be nice to know what these measurements are supposed to be. I'm wondering if your trick for the wobble would work on the bushing also."

"Joe, just wanted to tell you

"Joe, just wanted to tell you your trick worked great on both the mounting ring and the bushing. I used a 3/8 chisel for the bushing. I made an insert to fit the bushing from a 2x4 so there was some support when I dinged it. I went at 90 degree intervals and used the chisel to put a small crease in the bushing and it tightened right up. everything still rotates fine but all wobble and side-to-side play is gone. I would recommend that fix to anyone with a poorly fitting ignition plate. Thanks again."

Back