Logo

Lower unit oilseals 1995 Evinrude 48 special

wish2fish

Regular Contributor
Went to change the lower unit

Went to change the lower unit outdrive oil and found 1/2 cup water with very little oil.

I wasn't real impressed with the screws for the drain and vent plug so I plan to replace them first. I pulled the prop and the galvanic protection annode and looked tat the prop shaft seal. It looked to be intact and smooth to the touch.

Where do I go from here?

"There are also a set of seals

"There are also a set of seals under the water pump plate...If none of the seals have never been replaced, thay makes them 10 years old...I would say that is where the water is coming in and time to replace all of them, and can re-do the water pump at the same time..."

"I've got a water pump kit

"I've got a water pump kit on order so I was going to be there anyway. How hard is it to replace these seals?

The fact that there was little oil made be think that the oil had to be leaking through one of the lower points (prop seal, oil vent screw, oil drain screw. Is that correct thinking?"

"Fish,

Tom is right; get a

"Fish,

Tom is right; get a lower unit seal kit and replace everything at once. You have prop shaft, driveshaft, and shift rod seals, along with 0-rings and a gasket or two. You should work from a service manual.

Tony"

I'm okay with replacing ev

I'm okay with replacing everything needed. I have both an Evinrude manual and Clymer manual. My question is how hard is it? Can I replace the propshaft bearing without pulling the prop shaft?

Thanks Guys....everything is appreciated!

Back