Logo

115 johnson tilt and trim not working

115johnson

"Hello all, I recently acquir

"Hello all, I recently acquired a boat with a 1973 115 hp johnson 115ETL 73C. I am sure I will have lots of questions. Today, the tilt and trim would not work. The pump sounds, but there is no movement. I finally had my boy lift on the outboard while running the tilt and it lifted. It worked fine before the winter. I am guessing it is the fluid level??? How do I check and fill it and with what fluid?

Thanks"

"On that unit, the reservoir w

"On that unit, the reservoir would be in the same tower as the electric motor. Look for a fairly good size slotted screw.

Have the engine in the extreme tilted position, then fill the reservoir to overflowing. Insert the screw/seal, then try to operate the unit. You may need to refill a few times if air exists."

"Thanks for your reply! Actua

"Thanks for your reply! Actually, I was able to get the motor to the full "up" position and filled the tank. I then tried to get some movement and the motor just buzzes away. I was able to find a photo of the unit. The large slotted screw is on the right side and the motor is on the left. Could there be some problem with the manual override? What is the lever on the upper left for? I don't know anything about the manula override, but keep reading about it. Also, on my unit the two "arms" (are they shock absorbers when the motor it tilted down?) are poking fully out, not flush like in this picture. I know I am full of too many questions, Thanks for your help!

Thanks

Dale
17532.jpg
"

"That is not a PTT for a 1973

"That is not a PTT for a 1973 model. That unit did not exist untill 1977, and those cut away type brackets are a later model yet.. The lever is a sending unit for a PTT gauge.

The Trim rams will only retract with the electric motor running with the PTT unit functioning.

The manual release valve can be found within a hole at the outside of the lower starboard (right) transom bracket. It will look like a normal sloted screw. To be in the release position, it should be screwed out ONLY 2 turns. To be in the normal hydraulic position, it should be screwed all the way in."

"Joe, thanks for your reply! N

"Joe, thanks for your reply! Now I know the motor is a 1978 and how to work the manual override. I got a photo of the trim unit and the tag. The 8 is not completely closed so I mistook the 8 in 78 for a 3. Anyway, thanks for the info on the manual release. I released the unit, manually dropped and lifted it a few times. Still there is no movement from the hydraulics. The motor whirrs, but does not sound like it is pushing any oil. I did make sure the screw was all the way in (closed) before trying again. Any, I am still baffled and can't take my boy fishing. Thanks for your help!

I am posting a photo of the unit. and the tag.
17540.jpg

17541.jpg
"

"Hi All,

I have filled the

"Hi All,

I have filled the reservoir with fluid, used the manual release to raise the unit up and down and still the hydraulic motor just runs. It worked last year. We did remove the battery to charge it. Could it need bleeding? etc?

Thanks, again!"

Back