Logo

Yamaha 250 salt water II statorCDI

bmtsa2003

"Here is the story:
I am runn

"Here is the story:
I am running a 46 ft 60 passenger boat with twin Yamaha 250 salt water series 2 strokes. I experienced bad performance and incredibly high fuel consumption. I am operating in the Republic of Panama and parts and good mechanics are hard to come by. So a mechanic shows up and says he wants to solve my problems, if it does not work he will charge nothing. Having gone through a small army of useless mechanics in the last 6 years I decided to give the guy a shot, since I don't know much about engines.
He started on the starboard engine which has approximately 1,200 hours on it and after starting the motor he disconnected the battery and the motor died. His conclusion was that the stator is too week and we needed a new stator.
Then he did the same thing with the port engine which has about 300 hours on it and that motor died as well. Conclusion,we need two new stators.
At that point some very faint alarms came on in the back of my head, but knowing very little about this I had no choice but to accept his diagnosis.
Now, there are no stators available in Panama except special order. The mechanic said he knows of a "guy" in another town who could rewind the old stators at a cost of $ 180.00 each. I needed the boat running so I sent him off across the mountains to get the things repaired.
When he returned a week later with what he called 2 "new" stators he hooked the first one up to the starboard engine and blew up the C.D.I. unit. His diagnisis was that the repaired stator is to0 powerful for the old C.D.I. unit and we need to purchase a new CDI and this does not make any sense to me at all. I believe and this is where I really need advise, that if the stators have been wound incorrectly a new C.D.I will blow just as well. I explained it to my wife like this: If I have heart surgery and the heart is working properly it will not blow out my brains although it is not brand new any more, if the heart is working lets say with too high of blood pressure it will blow out a new brain as well. (is this a comparable explaination?).
Then the mechanic suggested that we could put on a CDI from a 200 hp carburated 2 stroke, eliminate the oil and fuel injection and put carburators from our 200 hp on the starboard engine. I know that I am not too bright in the engine department, but I took that suggestion as a total insult to whatever intelligence I might have and told the gay to get off my dock.
I believe that at this point my only option is to buy 2 new stators and one new C.D.I. unit and have all of it intsalled by the Yamaha dealership. Does anyone have any better ideas?"

"Karl,
Sounds like you have j

"Karl,
Sounds like you have just come accross another soldier....you can add him to your army of useless mechanics.....
Anyway..to your situation.
You will now need to replace both of those stators..... prob had nothing wrong with them to start with...and also the blown up cdi pack.
A yamaha dealership is probably the way to go.
Is the bottom of your boat clean??
Excess growth under the hull can give you the problems that you describe.
Good luck with it."

"Tonyaus,
thank you for confi

"Tonyaus,
thank you for confirming my suspicions. It will probably take 6 weeks to get the stators and the CDI.
The bottom is clean, but the boat seems to be under powered any way.
Thanks again."

Back