Logo

20HP Evinrude stiff throttle

S

Shawn Wright

" I've recently bought a 1

" I've recently bought a 1975 20Hp Evinrude which seems to run well, but like every Evinrude I can recall, has a stiff hand throttle. I disconnected the linkage at the top of the vertical shaft and determined the stiffness is between the grip and this shaft.
I then removed the grip and swivel arm, and cleaned and lubed, which made little difference, so the stiff section appears to be between the swivel section and the vertical shaft. Not surprisingly, the grease nipples at each end of this shaft are plugged...
Any tips on how to unplug a grease nipple?
Thanks. "

"Shawn... In all the cases whe

"Shawn... In all the cases where I've found stiff throttle linkages such as you mention, they have usually been stiff due to the gear being corroded with salt or simply a lack of grease. The gear I speak of is the gear that the vertical rod seats in. The solution was to remove the gear, clean and
grease the assy properly.

Another area of stiffness was the throttle handle shaft itself, and the solution there of course was to dismantle the handle, clean, grease, etc.

The only way I ever cleaned the straight through grease fittings was to remove whatever was on the other side of them, then use a stiff wire or drill to clean them out. The factory spring loaded type fittings had to be removed in order to be cleaned.

Joe
"

Back