Logo

140 Evinrude Rough Idle

N

Ned Dixon

"1979 Evinrude 140. I've r

"1979 Evinrude 140. I've rebuilt the engine, replaced a bad piston, rebuilt carbs, the works. The engine idles rough, sometimes dies. In the river it bogs down under a load. *Sounds like* it has a cam (like engine is loping), but of course it does not. Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions?"

"Try pumping up the primer bul

"Try pumping up the primer bulb and hold it as you take off...If all is well then, look to your fuel system..With a recent rebuild, should have compression around 90#or so and within 10% of each other..."

"Ok I'll definitely try th

"Ok I'll definitely try that, Thanks. Do you know what the RPM should be, just sitting in neutal? Right now it's in the driveway, hooked up to a water hose so I can work on it."

"OK, new questions. I started

"OK, new questions. I started working on this to begin with because I had a bad piston, a hole burned through it. I don't know what caused it. Any thoughts?

Also, the motor has surface fire plugs UL77V. I'm wondering if I can run gap plugs, and if so which ones. I read here that it would make the engine run smoother."

Cause for the bad piston could

Cause for the bad piston could be a cylinder running too lean because of a dirty carb. Could also be a too hot spark plug (if all plugs were not alike).
Robert

Back