Logo

Which repair manual

K

Ken Peterson

I have 2 Volvo Penta outdrives

I have 2 Volvo Penta outdrives with the following serial numbers: PZ NR 2850851 B and PZ NR 2846553 B. I believe they are 280B's and they are attached to Ford 302HO engines. Which repair manual should I buy?

"Are you looking for manuals f

"Are you looking for manuals for the outdrives or for the engines? Are those serial number from the outdrives? Those serial numbers don't come up in the database. Is there a model number on the nameplate?

The 280 drive workshop manual would be here.

The engine manual would be here.

And if you wanted an aftermarket manual that covered both engine and drive, see this link."

"I'm curious as to whats i

"I'm curious as to whats included in the parts catalog and the owners manual vs the shop manual. I was going to order the shop manuals for my motor, but wondering the usefulness of the other two manuals."

"Ron,

A parts catalog/manua

"Ron,

A parts catalog/manual has exploded views of every component as well as part numbers and part name. No instructions or other text, but the exploded views can be usefull and of course part numbers can be useful.

The owners manual is what you would have gotten with the engine when it was new, operating information, basic maintenance, lubrication, safety, etc."

A shop manuall is a lot more h

A shop manuall is a lot more helpful than an aftermarket one. There are specs that the other ones just won't show and the information tends to be a lot more accurate. The hard part is getting all of the updates with the manual.

"I would look on ebay for one,

"I would look on ebay for one, or check around for boat dealers going out of business/changing lines, although I don't know why they would stop carrying Volvo-Penta. I have looked for Mercruiser manuals and they're out there."

Back