Logo

Remote oil filter

kazaroo

"I have a 1987 Wellcraft Nova,

"I have a 1987 Wellcraft Nova, 350 ci Chevy, 300+ HP, Alpha 1. When my engine and cockpit seating is fully assembled, it is pretty much impossible to physically touch, let alone replace my oil filter. It is located under the port side exhaust manifold. I need to completely remove my wrap around seating to access it. I am looking to add a remote oil filter kit. I have plenty of room on my stern plate to remotely mount a filter kit. I've looked at street app types - Jeg's, Summitt Racing, etc - and they are fairly inexpensive(<$50), but marine kits from dealers I've called range $200-300. Does anyone know what the difference is? Any ideas for less expensive marine app kits? I realive that the exposed metal in the street kits could be an issue due to corrosion, but my boat is trailer kept and covered. Can the exposed matal be painted to hold off corrosion? As I rebuild my engine and install it this Spring I'd like to add one of these. Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks."

"The difference is $150--typic

"The difference is $150--typical "marine" rip off (which is nothing compared to "aviation" or the all-time rip off: "space travel man rated").

Agreed that the aluminum-based pot metal of automotive units could be a corrosion factor but, as you pointed out, you don't moor your boat in salt water! Also, a coating of vinyl-etch primer and epoxy barrier coat should add years of life.

Jeff

PS: Warning! Due to the long lines used every filter change will require running without oil pressure for a scary long time, or a bunch of cranking on the starter (the preferred method) before the oil presure comes."

"Thanks. The thought of runni

"Thanks. The thought of running dry has crossed my mind. My plans are to make the custom lines as short as possible, hoping it helps.

Thanks for your help.

Anyone else - has anyone out there used normal grade kits? Pros? Cons?"

I bought my kit from JC Whitne

I bought my kit from JC Whitney.I have a 1990 Alpha l 5.7 liter.This has been installed for about 8 years now with no problems.I put about a 100 hours a year on it.
The factory ones are real nice but $$.My one suggestion would be to use a very high quality hose when you plumb it.My hose is the original hose and I might replace it one of these days.Good Luck

"Jim, I think your original id

"Jim, I think your original idea about keeping your oil clean is on track. You can take Fastjeff's advise and use a protective coating for extra protection against corrosion. I'd say you have more to gain by puting the automotive type unit on than not doing it and puting off changing your oil. I'm sure the automotive adapter won't corrode away into failure in your your lifetime."

"Check Ebay, I have seen the M

"Check Ebay, I have seen the Mercruiser setups there for your application and half price. Say what you want about the cost of the real deal but it bolts on nice and neat, engineered to work. No drilling, you get the idea."

Back