Logo

Trim went down now nothing in the trim works

teckles

"I attached the battery; lower

"I attached the battery; lowered the trim; attached the dog ears and started the motor.... ran it for a few min, and tried to raise the trim and nothing happened. I turned off the motor and I hear a click when I push the up/dwn or trailer button, but no movement on the outdrive. I looked in the reservoir and it is milkey any sugestions?"

"Hi Trey,

I am no boat mech

"Hi Trey,

I am no boat mechanic and I am also pretty new to this forum but one thing I can tell you for sure is that when you have water and oil/hydraulic fluid wizzed up through the tilt/trim pump you will get a lovely milky mixture. Having said that if your resevoir is low on hydraulic fluid then it may be just frothy. Either way you will need to check it further and either top it up, drain it and then top it up or get it to a marine mechanic.

Best of luck and I hope this issue is resolved simply and cheaply.

John"

"Trey, It is likely you have

"Trey, It is likely you have two issues. The non-working of the trim pump is electrical, the milky oil is mechanical. If neither up or down work, either the pump is not getting any power, or the motor is bad.

First off, use a fairly heavy wire to jumper between the two heavy battery cables on a the trim solenoid. If the motor runs, it is OK, and you should replace the solenoid(s) that are bad. (Don't do this too long, or the wire will get hot and burn you). If the motor does not run, it is likely bad.

As for the oil. I would use a oil pump or something to suck out most of the milky stuff and replace with fresh oil. I use 5W-30 oil, but others use trans fluid. If it gets milky again, you likely have water leaking past the trim cylinder seals. I just change my fluid a couple of times during the season to combat this. New cylinders are ~$250/each. Cylinder rebuilds are about half that."

Back