Logo

1979 Evinrude 55 HP lower unit seal replacement

eturnertdhca

"I recently purchased this mot

"I recently purchased this motor. It has been sitting on the boat outside for at least a year. When I opened the upper oil plug pressurized water came out and when the lower plug was removed, more water ran out before the gear oil started draining. I believe seal replacement is in order? Is it possible to replace the seals and related parts without removing the lower unit?
I have removed the prop and can see 3 small bolt heads inside. Should I be able to remove these and then remove the seal/bearing body? I have a manual coming, any help would be appreciated. What would a mechanic charge for this, roughly?

Ed"

"Ed,

There should be four s

"Ed,

There should be four screws securing the bearing carrier. You could do this part without removing the lower unit, but you need to remove the lower in order to replace the driveshaft and shift rod seals.

Tony"

"Thanks, Tony.
Probably shoul

"Thanks, Tony.
Probably should do the whole kit and water pump while I am at it.
I loosened the bearing carrier screws but the carrier did not appear to be moveable. Will wait until I get the manual. Did not want to bang on a cast aluminum part."

You need a bearing carrier pul

You need a bearing carrier puller to remove the carrier. I am told that a large gear puller will work. You need to carefully inspect the bearings an gears for fatal rust and other defects before going further with just a seal job.

"Thanks, Sleeper
That is the

"Thanks, Sleeper
That is the part that I hope is OK. Would probably have to take out a second mortgage to get parts.
Does anyone know what years I could use for a replacement lower unit if I ever find one cheap? This is a 79 55 HP Evinrude."

Keep watching Ebay. I see low

Keep watching Ebay. I see lower units going in the $100-$200 range all the time.

I have a 1979 55hp evinrude mo

I have a 1979 55hp evinrude motor. It still runs but the block has a hole in it. I don't know much about motors... I have no need for the motor because I just got another motor. I'm willing to sale it for a small price.

"Where are you located and how

"Where are you located and how much would shipping be??? Shipping would be a problem unless you know someone. It would have to go freight, probably on a pallet. I could pick up at a local terminal which would make it cheaper.

I do not have a lot of cash to spend. Total cost would be a factor.

Thanks for the offer."

Back