Logo

Lower unit oil

" is there any difference in a

" is there any difference in auto gear oil (castrol 80-90w hypoy-c,compare to lower unit oil sold at marine stores.for outboard engines. "

"Rick.... I can't answer t

"Rick.... I can't answer that question. However I have found that "LubriMatic" (sold in K-Mart and other stores) appears to be the same as what is available in marine stores. At least, I haven't encountered any problems with it from the lowest to the highest horsepower.

This "LubriMatic" is listed as being "Hi Viscosity" (HiVis), with its grade SAE being 80W90, with a API MT-1/GL-5 .

Strictly for the manual shift type engines. It will not work with the "Electric Shift" or the "Hydro Electric Shift" units.

Joe
"

thanks for that reply i was h

thanks for that reply i was hopeing you would answere that question.the reason i ask was i just change the lower gear housing plate that has a main bearing seal on center of shaft .refilled with castrol auto rear end gear oil ;because i have so much on the shelve.was out twice for a run oil look great ;but i heard from someone the oil sold at marine stores has a special addative from foaming ;where a auto rear end has a vent ;where the lower unit on a outboard has none .useing auto oil can blow a seal because of foaming without a vented unit .well went to the store a pick up the product you mention ;better be safe than sorry .thanks again

Back