Logo

Really thrown a loop on what year and model my motor is

trippster

"It is either a 1983 or 1984 M

"It is either a 1983 or 1984 Mercury Black Max 150 that says V1500 on the cowling. It is on a hydra-sports hull. I looked all over the motor for a serial number and cannot find one. the coil says P/N 332-5524A1 and the Carbs (3 of them) say Mercarb 1382-6425, and the part that clamps the motor onto the hull has a serial number 4967760. Sorry, I am new to boats if you cannot tell. Please help.

tripp"

"look on top of engine block b

"look on top of engine block between cyl. banks. You should be able to find a welsh plug,( 3/4 inch disk), with a # stamped in it. If the powerhead was replaced it may be missing."

"That plug has an 8 on it, I s

"That plug has an 8 on it, I saw it last night while searching for the serial for the 5th night in a row. And it has the blue striped cowl. Could you give me a serial from that?

Could someone give me a list of things in order from 1 to whatever I can do to get this motor running tip-top? I would appreciate it. I know car engines well, just not boat motors. Or boats in general.
happy.gif
"

"Oh, it runs BTW, it just soun

"Oh, it runs BTW, it just sounds like it is missing on a cylinder. I can rev it up to top RPM's, and then it starts to bog down. You have to choke the hell out of it to get it to start. I am guessing it is the 50:1 ratio on the mix? Thanks for all your help, I am trying to get it ready for the 4th of July weekend. I have yet to put it in the water. After running it, i pulled the plugs from both banks and the plugs on the 2-4-6 side were covered in oil, while the plugs on the 1-3-5 side were pretty clean compared to the 2-4-6 side."

"don't rev it without a lo

"don't rev it without a load. If in dought remove and clean the carbs, 2 cycle gas clogges jets quick. Your engine is basically 3 engines sharing the same crankshaft, each with there own carb. No fuel or lack of fuel through one carb means no oil to those cylinders, they do not share fuel/oil. If this engine is new to you start from scratch, compression, spark, carbs, waterpump and lower unit oil. The plugs that look bad are the ones working. Check for spark with a timing light on each plug wire."

"I have it hooked up to the wa

"I have it hooked up to the water earmuff looking thing. So, if that isn't under a "load", I guess you mean in the lake. How do you do a compression test? any good threads on how to clean and rebuild a carb?"

"I like this site, great vidio

"I like this site, great vidios, bottom right
http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin//YaBB.pl
the very last one TMD Vidios opens another page with more, there is a spark and compression test there. When on the muffs its only providing water to the engine with no resistence. Like reving your car in neutral. All engines sound good in neutal but may only be running on 1/2 power."

Back