Logo

How do u adjust a carb with a high and low speed needle

J

Joel Wakley

well i got some knobs on my mo

well i got some knobs on my motor 1962 qd-23 10hp well how do u adjust it cause now i only runs idles in choke and back fires if i dont and eventually shuts down?

"Other than to drive over ther

"Other than to drive over there and adjust them myself, I've pretty well spelled the procedure out in complete detail within your other post.

There absolutely nothing I could possibly add to what I've already told you. Any other members like to join in with additional advice, feel free to do so."

oh ok ill read it again sorry

oh ok ill read it again sorry lol ive been posting a lot lately

well sorry but another questio

well sorry but another question when adjusting the low speed needle what should i do with the high speed needle i mean would that effect anything plus how u adjust high speed one ur article doesnt specify

sorry once again i nvr read bo

sorry once again i nvr read bottome half but will the high speed needle effect the low speed one when adjusting?

sorry once again i nvr read bo

sorry once again i nvr read bottome half but will the high speed needle effect the low speed one when adjusting?

"In an attempt to avoid any fu

"In an attempt to avoid any further lack of communication, the following pertains to the carburetor on your 1962 10hp Johnson.

Initial settings:
Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out.
Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves:

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

That's it."

I just purchased: 1962 28hp Ev

I just purchased: 1962 28hp Evin.; 1994 55hp Evin; and 1976 85hp Johnson. Can anyone tell me of prevalent problems to these models or any tips in running through them to get them up to speed? I am looking to use one as a kicker on a 38ft trimaran.

D Nelson
Instead of adding y

D Nelson
Instead of adding your question to the answers to another question you should start a new discussion with it. Click on "Start new discussion" at the top of the index page. Give it a title that will indicate the nature of the question.

Back