Logo

30L What is a good cruising RPM

johnnynegaunee

Contributing Member
"If you have your 'ol boat

"If you have your 'ol boat in good repair and WOT is in the prescribed mid 4K range, where then should you cruise at... 3700? 3900? Do you want to be just on the hairy edge of plane for most efficient operation? Or a little higher? Thanks for the input."

"5.7 for me, and I cruise betw

"5.7 for me, and I cruise between 3000 and 4500
regularly. really user preference but I like to get where I am going so I often see 5000.
I am anal about maintainance though. I say have fun! But stay within peramiters."

I like 3200 in my Bayliner 19&

I like 3200 in my Bayliner 19' cuddy with Mercruiser 470. Gets decent gas mileage at that.
JW in Dixie

"According to Merc's testi

"According to Merc's testing, a 6.2L in a 22' boat gets its best mileage (3.6 Mpg)at 3000 Rpm. That gives a speed of 36 MPH.
That is quite likely a reasonably efficioent cruise RPm for most any stern drive. You could check the Merc site for information about your engine.

I can defiitely notice that 3500 and higher mine starts to suck it up pretty fast. A good way to etimate fuel use for a trip is 3 MPG."

"My WOT for a 3.0 is 4200 - 46

"My WOT for a 3.0 is 4200 - 4600. When we were messing with the timing and such, we left it up high. I was running full out and got up to almost 5000 rpm
uhoh.gif

it's still alive.
\I normally run it at 3400 rpm and sometimes less giving me around 23 or 24 mph."

Back