Logo

Volvo MD1

johnfhn

"I have just rebuilt my MD1 af

"I have just rebuilt my MD1 after renewing the Cyl Head Gasket and the engine is running ok except that there is insufficient oil being fed to the rocker shaft. There is some oil flowing from the oil feed pipe but it seems to be insufficient in pressure and quantity, any ideas please?"

The shaft in the rocker arm as

The shaft in the rocker arm assy is 180 out. Take out index bolt and rotate shaft 180 and reinstall. Should solve problem

"Hi there i have a volvo md1 o

"Hi there i have a volvo md1 on my yacht recently it over heated and black smoke came out the engine!!!! it wont start now!! i have checked fuel its ok, water ok, and pressure seems fine? the engine turns over and gear box ok, but will not fire up any suggestions , it has been burning oil for some time now and always started first time."

"I don't know why you have

"I don't know why you have tagged you question onto the end of an old dead topic. You should have started your own new topic .

However for the record John Hodgson did sort his problem out although it was not caused by what Dick V suggested.

Final outcome reported HERE

In the above there is a link to the workshop manual for the MD1 if you do not have one (see the last post for the correct link!)

You say the pressure seems fine, do you mean the compression. It is something it would be advisable to check properly.

You may have damaged the piston and or the rings, you have have distorted the cylinder head. could be a number of things which you will only resolve by tearing it down. But whether you will even get spares let alone have enough gold bars to exchange for them may be the problem."

Cylinder head gasket failure i

Cylinder head gasket failure is quite common on the MD1 plus whatever other damage might have been caused by the overheating which in turn must be caused by reduced cooling water flow and burning oil would indicate worn piston rings and bore!

"Gentlemen, sorry to have give

"Gentlemen, sorry to have given you incorrect information on rocker arm problem. It my haste to help out I mixed up models of engines. Information would have been correct for MD6/7 models. Hope it did not cause undo work effort."

Do you mean thermostat if so s

Do you mean thermostat if so see the workshop manual.

If you mean temperature sensor I think maybe not but if you do have a temperature gauge the sensor will be the thermostat housing I think.

The sender for gauge is on fro

The sender for gauge is on front top of manifold right behind thermostat housing.

Back