Logo

Trailer wheel bearing

terrapin24h

Contributing Member
"Guys--
I took apart my tr

"Guys--
I took apart my trailer brakes last night as they aren't working so well. In any event when putting them back together there were no specs in the manual for them on bearing nut torque, so I just went ahead and did what I was taught with regular wheel bearings:

roll fresh grease into it, slide it in and put the washer/nut on and torque it down to around 20 ftlbs. Spin the hub a bunch(in each direction), and then back off the lock nut about a 1/4 turn. I then try to push the washer around with a flat head screwdriver(it should move but be snug) I then check for play in the hub.

After they were assembled, while still in the air i pumped up the grease levels and spun the wheels, then lowered. I think this should work for the trailer bearings, right? Set me straight if i'm off course. Thx!!

-chris

ps: the bearings looked good and were wet with grease"

""my trailer brakes last n

""my trailer brakes last night as they aren't working so well."

The bearing work is what I do; sounds fine. What about the brakes? If you have rusty fluid you might as well bite the bullet and replace all the hydraulic harware; master cylinder and complete wheel assys. since moisture has rusted the master cylinder. If you don't, as soon as you try to bleed them the master seal will blow. BTDT! I did brake lines too. Turn the drums or rotors and replace calipers if equipped. Don't forget the surge shock. Use synthetic fluid since it is less hydroscopic. The part not replaced is the weakest link.

You can get a complete front end for the trailer cheaper than piecing it. Some are bolt on and some are welded."

"My brakes aren't working

"My brakes aren't working well primarily because they are out of adjustment, and the adjusters were beyond forzen. I was able to free them once i pulled them out. The shoes have lots of cake left and the drums are beautiful. I haven't owned the boat for a full season yet, so i'm trying to get stuff caught up on it, and my focus is turning to the trailer now. I've been considering pump all new fluid through it to get a full change of fluid(not just doing a std bleed) Thanks!

--chris"

Back