Logo

Evinrude 35 10 years in storage

B

billengelman

" I recently purchased a 1971

" I recently purchased a 1971 Boston Whaler with a 35 hp Evinrude (model 359020, serial #E0002194). I was told it has less than 100 hours on the engine, but it has been in storage for over 10 years. One person told me to just hook up a gas tank and see if it goes. Others have told me to replace the water pump, rebuild the carbs, etc.. What do you do with a little used engine that is that old and in storage that long? "

"Bill.... That's a 1979 35

"Bill.... That's a 1979 35hp Evinrude (35902). Normally, any engine that has been sitting even a few months will develop a clogged fouled carburetor. There's a small chance that your carb might be okay, however.... since that engine derives its lubrication via its fuel mixture, it's really not a good idea to chance a carb that would provide a lean setting. I strongly recommend that you remove the carb, clean. and rebuild it with a complete carburetor kit.

The water pump..... hard to say what condition that may be in. If it were me, I would (after rebuilding the carb) run the engine first, then if there's any doubt, replace the pump.

For what it's worth, the engine is a good design.

Look at the skeg of the lower unit. See that philips screw? DO NOT EVER REMOVE that screw unless you're taking the lower unit apart. That screw is actually a long shoulder type screw/pin and is a pivot point for the internal shift lever. You may already know that, but just in case! Always use the large slotted screws to check or fill the gearcase with lube. Fill from the bottom to the upper identical screw. Use "HiVis" (80/90w) lube. Fuel mixture is 50/1.

Joe
"

Back