Logo

225 four stroke 2005 Yamaha built mercury

"Bud, I don't believe that

"Bud, I don't believe that the 4 stroke Merc's in 2005 were built by Yami.

Yamaha supplied powerheads for a lot of years and built the Mariner line back in the 70/80's.

The smaller 4 strokes (30 horse and under) are built by Tohatsu, but the larger horse 4 strokes are pure Merc (at least that's Mercs story, although the heads are most probably now coming from China)."

Graham
Yes they built them

Graham
Yes they built them 225 yamaha four stoke painted black I have they look like yamaha but black

"Bud, I didn't think that

"Bud, I didn't think that they continued using Yami blocks that late, but after comparing the two service manuals I will concede that they did so.

However, if you compare the iginition systems they are not quite the same. For years Merc used Yami blocks and gears and tacked on the rest of the parts which were distinctively Merc. Your 225 would appear to follow that rule...

You can compare for yourself -

Merc Specs.....

171972.jpg

171973.jpg

Yami Specs

171974.jpg

171975.jpg
"

"Graham
I had a yamaha deal

"Graham
I had a yamaha dealer check the motor out before purchase, it c=hecked out good and He placed his Yamaha Lap top on it to get the hours on it. which was 154 3 weeks ago. He also changed oil and such.
My understanding was that this thing even had all Yamaha stuff along with Gears ? My main goal is to have the best gauge set that gives m e fuel burn, Water temp, Water preasure, Trim angle.
But need to find out what guages to use I command,( Yamaha) or Smart-craft Mercury. I called merc Customer service and did not get any info. Thanks for the Stats above I will pull the Top and check it out However I dont know what I am looking for. Again thanks for your Effort in assisting me in this project, the Model number is
225XXL-4s Serial # 1B206750 2005 225 hp mer 4 stroke

Thanks
Budd Mann"

"Bud, I would assume that the

"Bud, I would assume that the "smart" gauges work from the ECM itself. If they are identical then either should function well for you.

My concern would be that one of the subtle differences may be the engine computer which could cause bogus readings if the "wrong" gauges were attached....

If the motor was listed by Merc as "smartcraft" compatable, then I assume they would work for sure at the very least..."

"From Cont research the smart

"From Cont research the smart craft wont work Also the flo-scan wont work due to two fuel pumps.

Seems the motor is a Complete Yamaha ! only merc supplied the cowlings and Black paint. I can use yamaha part # 6y5-woo88-54-00 and 6y5-85721-f0-00
this will give me Fuel management options which was the bottom line goal, the cost of the above items seems to range around 550.00. Anyway thanks for all info I just wanted to end this question with the solution I have found/

BuDD Mann"

Back