Logo

98 hp Mariner Cuts out at Mid amp High Speed

76merc110

"1 have a 1976 Merc 110 (9

"1 have a 1976 Merc 110 (9.8hp) outboard that starts good and runs fine at half throttle, but cuts out at high speed, and just below high speed. I put in new spark plugs and a new water pump and runs cool, so that part is fixed. What next. [email protected]"

"Marshall,

If you have not

"Marshall,

If you have not taken the carb apart yet it is probably a good idea to do that. You may have some debris stuck in the high speed jet.

The throttle linkage might be out of whack also. If the plate opens too soon or too late it can cause the engine to die.

Tony"

I have not taken the carb apar

I have not taken the carb apart yet. I did buy a diaphram gasket set today and will be putting that on. When I put that on is the main high speed jet in the bowl area. If I take the bowl off and clean that out will this clean the main jet.

"Marshall,

The main jet scr

"Marshall,

The main jet screws into the front of the central horn of the carb body. It is clearly visible when you remove the float bowl. You should remove it and inspect it carefully.

The idle jet is removed by unscrewing the plug that covers it on to top/port side of the carb. Then reach in with a narrow screwdriver and unscrew the jet. It is a long, thin tube and must be carefully cleaned.

Tony"

"I put a diaphragm kit in my m

"I put a diaphragm kit in my motor, but it still cuts out above 1/2 throttle. I did clean out the jets, but they seemed pretty clean. How do you set the float level. There was a little spring on top of the float needle, but I was not sure how to check the float level.
Does this motor have points under the flywheel. Could that be my problem, or maybe a coil failing as I come up on the rpm. Any way to check a coil with an ohm meter."

"I cleaned out the main jet an

"I cleaned out the main jet and reassembled the carb, but the engine still is running rough. What is the best way to adjust the screw on the top right side of the carb. Will this effect the high speed. It still seems like a fuel problem. I was going to buy a carb kit and put in it and see if that would help. They are $40."

Back