Logo

Power pack goes out to one cylinder only

D

derrick thomas

"is it possible for the power

"is it possible for the power pack to loose connection to only one coil,only one coil i dont have fire to, but when swapping the wires in the power pack to check the coil, now i have lost fire to 2 plugs, only have 3 of 4 firing.so dont know if its the power pack, 1 coil, or the timer base under the flywheel. its gonna get expensive to throw all 3 parts on, so if someone could guide me to what might be better, it might same me alot of cash. please anyone who knows. 73 motor 135 hp evenrude"

"your info.,is kinda confusing

"your info.,is kinda confusing......your prob,...is 90% powerpack......are the coils cracked.......repl...."

"2 coils are cracked. one crac

"2 coils are cracked. one cracked coil-cylinder #1,is the coil i never recieved fire to. so swapped wires from coil #1 and #3 to test coil, and at that point is when i lost fire to #2 and #3,#1 still has no fire and #4 is only coil with fire at this point. pricing power pack at marine shops now. further note, dont know if the timer base under the flywheel is working properly,so using a test light today to test the fire comming from it.thank you for the help though jwbmarine,im new to the boat motor knoledge but im trying to learn fast. i run a service shop for vehicles, so im bringing the motor to work so my mechanics can take a peak at it before i go paying $200 for a power pack
will keep you posted though"

"The engine must crank over at

"The engine must crank over at least 300 rpm in order for the stator under the flywheel to generate approxinately 300 volts to the powerpack capacitor. Any slower than 300 rpms will result in weak, erratic, or no spark (ignition)

The spark test must be performed with the spark plugs removed. The spark in this test must jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame.... a real SNAP! Note that the 7/16" gap is important. Trying to test the spark by using the spark plugs is a waste of time.

Powerpacks do not come and go, that is, when they lose spark to a certain cylinder, it stays that way.

Check the stator under the flywheel. If it is cracked and/or oozing a substance out of it down on the powerhead, therein lies your problem and if this is the case, replace the stator."

"i ddint know i had to remove

"i ddint know i had to remove the plugs, that will help. i will hook up the voltmeter today during lunch to see what my voltage is running to the power pack. i knew the original battery i had was to low-405 cold crank amps, so i have been using a jumper cable running from a started vehicle to get enough juice. i will be replaceing the battery today with a 600-700 cold crank amp to see if that helps. but im glad to know that the #1 coil wich has never recieved fire might be related to a power pack issue, and again im replacing it regaurdless to day, so i hope my problem is fixed. thank you again for the knoledge
"

Back