Logo

Honda 99 4 stroke bogs down every 200 yards

jtabor

"Starts normally and runs up t

"Starts normally and runs up to full throttle but after going about 200 yards it bogs down to an idle and sounds like it's running rich. It will also sputter like it's trying to backfire. After only about 10 seconds, it will go bsck to full throttle but then balk again after another 200 yards and so on and so on. I've checked the fuel filters and even pumped the bulb continuously with no change. Spark plugs look bronze color. Sounds like an ignition problem to me. Any ideas out there? Thanks!"

"I posted a similar problem wi

"I posted a similar problem with my 9.9 earlier.
Fuel line was the suggestion but didn't find that to be the problem.
It went into the shop this morning, so I'll let you know what they find.
Another suggestion I received was the "ignition control module", whatever that is.
Feel free to email me and maybe together we can solve this."

"Thanks, Ricster. I'm eage

"Thanks, Ricster. I'm eager to see what the shop has to say.

Thanks for the tip, Bill. I checked every hose I could find and they all appear to be clear."

"I forgot to say that if anyon

"I forgot to say that if anyone has a 9.9 Honda that takes a long time to warm up, I have the part # for a Yamaha thermostat that will fix the problem. A local icon in the marine business clued me in."

"Well, I got my engine back on

"Well, I got my engine back on Friday and took it for a spin.
They could not get the engine to act like it did on the boat in their shop, so they cleaned out the carb again and adjusted the float.
So far so good.
Now the engine almost dies at the bottom of the throttle so I'll adjust and see if it continues to run fine.
I'll keep updating."

I called a Honda dealer and ta

I called a Honda dealer and talked with the service manager. He didn't have a clue what could cause my problem but suggested I try a fresh fuel source and to run a fuel stabilizer all year long because of the ethanol in the fuel these days.

I ran the engine at home with water hose cooling and the problem appeared right on schedule. I emptied the tank and refilled with fresh gas at a station and added Sta-Bil. I ran the engine again and it seems to be fixed! Now I hope it does the same on the river.

We'll it ran great for 2 d

We'll it ran great for 2 days and now it's back to the same issues.
I have been in contact with another person who is having similar issues. His mechanic has just replaced the CDI unit so he will report back to me soon with results.
Fingers crossed.

"I ran the engine at full thro

"I ran the engine at full throttle fot about 2 miles and stopped to fish for about 2 hours. When I started back to the dock, the same old problem returned. I took it to the shop and they said it was shutting down for overheating. They changed the water pump impellor and put the original type thermostat back in and they say it runs OK in the shop. They also adjusted the carburetor. Another river test will tell the story. Now will it troll without quitting and also run at full speed? I gather this has been a common Honda 9.9 problem!"

"I took the engine for a river

"I took the engine for a river run yesterday. It starts and runs good. It doesn't bog down now and trolls nicely but I didn't troll for an extended period. So far, So good!"

"I have a 9.9 that has to have

"I have a 9.9 that has to have a new water pump impeller in it every year whether it is used or not. I think the rubber impeller gets a set in it, as the engine will run hot if I don't change it. It's runs fine with that one exception, gets great mileage (4 stroke), and starts on the second pull. This is the only motor I have ever had to change the water pump impeller so often. I think Honda needs some quality control invested in their rubber parts as they all seem to crack much quicker than they should. I know that when they make a 15 horse E-Tec, I will sell this motor and buy American. Pat Muckelroy"

Back