Logo

Engine Dies Shortly After Starting

R

Roman

I have a Force 50 HP engine. W

I have a Force 50 HP engine. When i run it out of water it runs perfectly. When i lower the boat into the water is starts and than dies after about a minute or two. When i try to start it again it will not start. HELP PLEASE.

It only " sounds " per

It only " sounds " perfect to you out of the water. Try using the primer bulb as a manual fuel pump to see if it keeps running.

"I tried doing that and it run

"I tried doing that and it runs, but the fuel pump is working, there are no tears in the fuel lines and i cleaned the carburetor and it was working in the water for about 2 minutes than it died and wouldn't start again at all."

Try checking the three check v

Try checking the three check valves in the fuel pump housing. Mine were bad and it gave me the same indications.

If you have set your idle with

If you have set your idle with the engine out of the water (like on the hose at home) then you would have set the idle lower.
Put the engine in the water and now you have back pressure so the engine will not idle efficiently because it cannot idle high enough to overcome the pressure of the water and therefore will not idle.

Back