Logo

2000 50 GI

mr_benzito

"HELP !!!
I have owned this

"HELP !!!
I have owned this boat for 2 seasons now and its been AWESOME. Until now... Over the weekend I noticed that upon putting it in the water and starting it there was a bit of a hesitation. This was the first time it had ever hesitated while starting. I thought nothing of it and took off. After about 3 hrs of fishing and running at idol speed (most of the time) I fired it up, took off and after about 30 or so seconds the engine cut out - not a stall but a loss of about 75% of power. I played with the throttle and finally after about 4-5 times restarting, it ran "normal" again....for about 2 hrs. So heres the problem now.

The boat was off and I went to start it and it would not start. The engine simply will not start. It cranks and acts like it wants to kick but never quite goes. I had to get that shameful tow into the docks... Any ideas here???? Fuel filter? ? Fuel pump??? Where should I start and how do I isolate the problem? Thanks for all your help and feedback!"

"First check for spark, then f

"First check for spark, then fuel. To check spark either purchase a tester, or carefully position one end of a screwdriver into a plug wire while holding the shaft of the screwdriver near a clean ground (manifold bolt). Have someone crank the engine. You should see a solid blue arc jump between the screwdriver and block.

Next, check for fuel going to the TB.

Report your findings and we will assist you with further troubleshooting.

Also, check this thread, it may pertain to your situation:

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12487/171828.shtml"

"OK, we have spark... I did ma

"OK, we have spark... I did manage to snap a plug at the stem (I wanted to check for carbon build up - none) but I will go get a replacement in a few min... What next???"

"Do you have a carb, or thrott

"Do you have a carb, or throttle body? The VP parts store lists both options for the GI.

Regardless, loosen a fuel line at the carb / TB and ensure that you have fuel going to it.

The next troubleshooting steps will be contingent on whether you have an EFI or a naturally aspirated system.

You may also want to bypass your fuel tank and try running the engine from a jerry can. This will rule out a stuck anti-syphon valve or a venting issue."

"TB, ok I checked the TB - no

"TB, ok I checked the TB - no fuel. I then checked the fuel line and filter. Upon looking at the filter I unscrewed it and noticed that #1 it was not under pressure # 2 it had a kink in the gasket. I pressed the gasket back in place and screwed it back on. Engine starts like a champ new, especially after the new plugs. Thank for the help!"

Back