Logo

Alarm Sounding Oil or Temp Alarm

A

ajstephan

"I have a 1996 Mercury 115 2 s

"I have a 1996 Mercury 115 2 stroke that started alarming shortly after leaving the dock on Saturday. Warm water was coming from the output, so I don't think it was overheating. The oil reservoir was also full. From reading post and Clymer's, I think it's an oil injection problem, but I'm still confused on the difference between alarms. I've heard references to "continuous", "steady", "intermittent", "erratic", and a few others.

The alarm is a frequent BEEP-BEEP-BEEP (probably 2 a second). Is this the oil injection alarm?"

If it is an injection problem

If it is an injection problem you should mix oil in the gasoline untill you know it is cured / fixed.You are aware that the oil pump drive gear on your motor might be plastic. I have seen them stripped.Has the water pump impeller been replaced?

"I'm not going to do anyth

"I'm not going to do anything with it until it's fixed - these motors are way too expensive to take a chance with - especially if it's a oil problem. I replaced the entire water pump last year, and it's squirting water as it should."

"1990 Mercury 90 HP o/b: on s

"1990 Mercury 90 HP o/b: on starting engine, the alarm is going off (steady beep). Can this be the oil alarm? Boat runs great - if there is water in the oil, what are ramifications/problems. Is it possible to verify oil is getting to the engine and if it's not, what is the timeframe before damage to motor? How do I alleviate water in oil - if in fact this is the problem. Thanks!"

"Rod, believe the steady beep

"Rod, believe the steady beep is an overheat. Unlikely it's actually overheating the second you start it up - more likely the temp sensor is shot (very common issue).

To your other question, the oil alarm system will only alert you if your oil tank gets low - it DOES NOT tell you if the oil system is functioning properly. As long as your oil level goes down while operating the motor thats the first indicator that it is working correctly.

Alternately, you can unhook the oil line that goes to the fuel pump, turn the flywheel by hand (or engage the kill switch and crank it over a few times and you should get an oil drip coming from the tube. If I dig around I have the exact specs and how to accurately check it (measure the flow rate etc) should you really have a concern....

I would disconnect the temp sensor and see if your "beep" goes away - if it does, replace the sensor (20 bucks or so at Merc if I'm remembering correctly)..."

"With oil injection, it is a g

"With oil injection, it is a good idea to carry a few quarts of TCW3 with you. If you suspect any trouble with the injection system, you should have enough to treat whats ever left in the tank at a 50 to 1 Ratio. You can't do much harm by over oiling but you can sure ruin the motor running with a non functioning injection system."

"Graham,Ijust replaced the imp

"Graham,Ijust replaced the impeller on my 1994 mercury tonight.Iput the garden hose on and right away the continuos beep beep horn went off.There was no way that it had time to overheat.I then pulled the heat sensor out,put some heat to it with a lighter and i could hear a faint click to it.I was talking to another guy and thinks that if it was gone bad you would not hear any thing; popping noise because it would have already tripped and expired.Whats your thought on that.Thank You."

"Just to expand on Vinces'

"Just to expand on Vinces' post. I'm his neighbour as was helping him with this. As soon as you turn on the key and start the motor the the alarm goes off...beep..beep...beep non-stop. He first had this problem when out on the water the other day. The dealer thought it was overheating and sold him a new impeller. We changed the impeller, the old one was not completely shot but on it's way out but when we ran it with the hose it's definitely not overheated because it started to beep right from when we first turned the key on. When it's running if you turn the key back just slighlty it will stop but the motor keeps running.

Is the temp sensor a thermo type switch like on a clothes dryer? If you put heat on it should it pop and the pop again when back below the temp threshold? We thought we could hear a faint click when we put a lighter on it.

By disconnectin the temp sensor do you mean unplugging it from the bullet type connector or would we have to trace it right back into the electrical panel?

Thanks,

Dave"

"Not sure what the "click&

"Not sure what the "click" was, but the sensors are simple resistance based. As they heat up, continuity increases until the resistance is near zero - the circuit completes and the horn goes off.

Here's the good word from Merc on testing these "cheap" sensors. As you can see the resistance changes throughout the temp band, this is not a simple on/off type switch...

191856.jpg
"

"I Graham,Thanks for all your

"I Graham,Thanks for all your time and effort in trying to solve and direct me with my problems with my motor.I got talking to a dealer in town today and told them about the horn going off ;beep beep beep;they said that is intermittent beepping.Oil.tomorrow i'am going to unplug the oil sensor to see if the the horn stop's.Tonight I took the sensor probe from the bottom of the tank and sat; i will trace it back to unplug it.I have put some oil in it in the past; it never went low causing the horn to go off;same token i have not burn much gas either so they think it might very will be a bad sensor.Thanks vince"

"I have a 1989 model C1000 A74

"I have a 1989 model C1000 A742531 Oil Injected, where do I fill the the Hydraulic System and where is fuel filter"

Unplug the two blue bullets un

Unplug the two blue bullets under the oil tank. The 4 cylinder has no sensor for the gears. Only for the tank level. False alarms are common. The tank will probably have to be replaced to repair the magnetic float inside.

Say Grahm Lamp do you happen t

Say Grahm Lamp do you happen to have a Schematic
for a water pump replacement on a 175 black Max Merc. I replaced the impeller and did the kit but talking with a mechanic he said I might have missed a 1/4 in seal that goes on the slpinned shaft. I explained that i did not see one when I rmoved the lower unit. Could this be why I only have water comming out the tell hole on higher RPM?

"Sebastian, click my name on t

"Sebastian, click my name on the left and drop me an email - make the title 175 black max lower, or something like that (I get alot of requests and my memory is not great)

I can send you a pdf covering your lower unit..."

"Hello Graham, I sent you a re

"Hello Graham, I sent you a reminder as per you direction. Please let me know if you did not get it. Thanks again for your help."

"I recently had my alarm go of

"I recently had my alarm go off after running my boat for 5 minutes. I'm sure the engine was running hot because after I shut it down I could hear the clicking noise a hot engine makes. Although my water pump was pumping water fine I figured I'd replace the impeller anyway. Just to find out that the impeller looked as new as the impeller I had just bought. My question is, could it be that it's not getting oil mixed in the gas properly? If so, is it okay to mix oil with the gas until I can get this problem resolved? The funny part is, the engine can idle for hours at a time in a tank and the alarm never goes off. I am running it without a trim motor at the moment. Could not having a trim motor cause to much strain on the motor and cause it to run hot? I have a 1994 115HP 4cyl Merc Oil Injected. It looks like I have a 20 gal tank."

My warning horn is dead 1998 1

My warning horn is dead 1998 175EFI Offshore
serial #OG654666 where can I purchase a new one and what is the part # Thanks in advance

"You need to go into a Merc de

"You need to go into a Merc dealer with your serial and other details of your set-up to determine what exactly you need.

Your motor could have had the smartcraft system, a visual indicator with a horn, a horn stuffed in the engine somewhere, in the control box or even a horn in the dash harness depending on how it was rigged.

So sorry, no simple part number for you unless you know exactly what it is that you want to replace..."

"150 optimax beeps 4 times at

"150 optimax beeps 4 times at idle, then does a constant beep and governs itself back to idle when throttled. Any sujestions?"

I have a 1987 skeeter 180 star

I have a 1987 skeeter 180 starfire and I need to know what type of fluid it takes in the power steering system. Is it ATF or just plain ole P/S fluid?

"I have a 95 Mercury 40. The

"I have a 95 Mercury 40. The low oil alert is sounding off. While checking forums I've been told the floats in the tank have come off and I need to replace the tank assy. While looking up part #'s I have noticed a switch that goes to the tank also. Is there a way to check this switch before I go and buy the tank? Also, does the new tank come with this switch? Thanks"

the switch is less than 15.00.

the switch is less than 15.00. It's not a bad idea to replace it anyway but you can check the switch with a simple ohmmeter. By tipping the tank upside down and then right side up the switch should make/break contact

"You can remove that switch fr

"You can remove that switch from the bottom of the oil tank and run a magnet past it. Use an ohm meter to check the switch contacts, or just leave the wires connected and turn on the ign. key and listen to the alarm. That will prove the switch.

The float inside the oil tank, which has a magnet in it, occasionally become saturated and fails to float. You must replace the tank to correct. About $70."

Back