Logo

1975 85hp problems

oneeyemike77

Contributing Member
"First thanks to all who has s

"First thanks to all who has shared their input with my problems so far, but now i have more. let me start from the beginning. I purchased my boat three weeks ago, I took it out before i bought it and it did well, but it was a little hard to start. Figured it just neede a tune up.
First time out after i bought it after two hours it went dead, no spark on any cylinders. After some help from you guys I figured out my rectifier shorted out and fried my stator. Also i noticed my coil wires had bad spots in them also. This week i replaced it all: Stator, coils, rectifier and powerpack and plugs just to be sure. Cranked it up with muffs on it in my driveway and it cranked right up. Took it to the water today and had trouble getting it started. After it did start it ran super. I ran the motor a while then took it out of gear and let idle. It idled for about one minute then went dead. It was very hard to start back. Got it back to the dock and shut it off, waited for a few minutes and tried to start again. It still took a while to get started back. I put the only plugs available at my parts store: autolites gapped at .40. Could this be my problem?? Any ideas?? Also my warm lever on my motor doesnt work properly. The manual i have has very little about remote controls. Does any body have any good info on adjustments on the warm up lever? The warm up lever will make it idle up, correct??"

"ck your choke operation,..
g

"ck your choke operation,..
get the autolites OUT--inst--CHAMPION QL77JC4,gapped at .030
warm up lever operation raises eng speed,...and sounds like u have a control box problem..go inside and look at operation,ck for broken,loose parts.."

Choke works properley. the sl

Choke works properley. the slotted screw at the top above the friction control is the idle speed adjustment correct?
If so do you screw it in or out to increase idle speed. I believe the idle speed is part of my problem along with my warm lever not working. By the way i ordered some champion plugs today.

"no,that is your warm up lever

"no,that is your warm up lever adj..you set eng idle AT ENG...this screw sets how high your wrmup lever goes,how high it raises rpm in warm up lever operation..i believ u screw it to the left to increase ,been awhile.....raise warm up lever fully...and turn screw and see if it allows u to raise or starts lowering it.."

Thanks man that did the trick

Thanks man that did the trick . Someone must have had it backed out all the way. Cranks up and idles up like a jewel. Cranked it up 5 or six times. Last time when i tried to turn it off the switch wouldnt kill it. Bad switch. Does this ever end???? Can you get a replacement at napa or another auto partsstore?

Back