Logo

BF90 lower unit reinstall after water pump replacement

ggb3

"Hello y'all:
I was hopin

"Hello y'all:
I was hoping someone could help me. This will be a long post as I want to throw out all the info I can.

I have a 2003 BF90 that I changed the water pump on. The parts man mentioned to me about dropping the foot with the 5 bolts and disconecting the shaft gear linkage. After looking it over, the only "disconnect" I could find was a "C" type snap ring and washer that looked to keep the upper shaft from going too high (up at the engine). I dropped the lower unit anyway and it come off. I looked and seen a male on the lower end part of the shaft and a female splined slip fit shaft arrangement still on the motor part.

The motor serial number shows it to be a 2003, (I think) however, I had the wrong pump parts and the parts man said the foot was an older model with the plastic type housing. Parts lookup on the lower unit shows the all stainless one and the other area for the pump parts shows the plastic type, so, I do not know what is right.

Anyway, when I went to put the lower unit back on the motor, after a few minutes jugglin and jigglin, it went in and I bolted together. When I turned the prop, it was clicking like it was almost in gear. I went to the helm and shifted into first, that seemed to be neutral, neutral was clicking and reverse was, perhaps forward. With this, I took it back apart, put the foot in neutral, put the helm in neutral and started to put it back together. I have about 5 hours trying to get it back together, it will not mesh on the slip spline connection for the gear shift. I have found that the splines are keyed and can only go in one way. (that does not make sense of how it went back together and was out of sync, but ??). I read here and there about disconnecting the shaft, I do not see where it bolts together, just a slip fit. Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks,
George"

Back