Logo

OMC Stainless Prop and a 4 barrel

sgthoffer

Contributing Member
"Anyone know what the best pro

"Anyone know what the best prop I can get for my OMC is? and also do you know what pitch it should be and what size? I do mostly tubing but love the fastest speed possible for racing other boats
sun.gif
So anyways what should I get.. and also what type of 4 barrel carb should I get to match it.. and what brand, type, and is it a simple bolt on type of deal, or do you have to know other knowledge other than hooking it back up the way you took it off?

Here is the pics of the current prop!
171800.jpg
"

"When it comes to props the co

"When it comes to props the combination all depends on what you want to do. If you want more top end speed then increase the pitch. If you want a quicker hole shot and want to pull skiers and tubers then a lower pitch is the way to go, or get a four blade. You want to find a prop that is good for both. What is the size and pitch of the prop you have now?"

"Look at the prop, it should h

"Look at the prop, it should have it stamped on the side somewhere between the fins. The first number is the diameter, the second the pitch. Sometimes it will be stamped in the prop retaining washer. I had the 5.7L with the four barrel and I was running a 14 3/4" X 17" pitch on a 22.5 length boat. The size and pitch the manufacture uses is based upon many factors such as weight of the boat, engine size and gear ratio and hull design. Doesn't mean you cannot change the size and pitch, but you want to know the original size and pitch as a good baseline."

"Best prop for OMC is a "R

"Best prop for OMC is a "Raker". Vent holes allow the engine to spin up for awesome hole shot. At my place, I have a 30 foot wide channel and then 500 yards of 18 inches deep water to cross. The Raker is the only thing that gets me up fast enough. I replaced my 23P alum with a 20P Raker. You have to move down a couple inches in pitch with the Raker."

"I had a stainless steal Stile

"I had a stainless steal Stiletto prop, it also has the vent holes on the side as Hy Stat mentions with the Raker. You can pick one up around $350 or better. Raker is a great name, Hy Stat got a heck of a deal on that!"

"I think the Rakers are 14.25

"I think the Rakers are 14.25 dia. Mine is a 20P, and it replaced a 13.75X23P omc stainless with only about 100 rpm increase WOT, so with Rakers, buy less pitch than you think you need."

"Raker is a 'bow lifter&#3

"Raker is a 'bow lifter' prop, and I'm not quite sure that the combination of Raker and Dol Fin which I see mounted above is the best!
OMC Alu props om 5,7 have never been a good combination, they bend the blades too much. Going above 19" in pitch -a real disaster compared to the Rakers (for bow lift) or in my opinion the 'old' style Viper."

"SST and Sting Ray, I would ha

"SST and Sting Ray, I would have chosen a set of Bennet trim tabs instead of the Sting Ray. Then You may even adjust for side-tilt of the boat and retract them when You want top speed."

"Bennett's are kind of pri

"Bennett's are kind of pricey for a boat this size, Smart tabs seem to becoming more popular especially if your just looking for that extra lift from the rear and quicker hole shot, better to lift the boat at the transom than by doing it from the outdrive, of course the smart tabs won't give you the side angle adutment that Morten mentioned but they are significantly cheaper!"

"so your saying the hydrofoil

"so your saying the hydrofoil stingray 3 sucks? and should not be used? cause it says 50% faster holeshot and on plain than any other hydro foil..

its the really wierd shaped foil..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stin...010QQitemZ200209104118QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

what do you mean by better to lift from transom than outdrive? meaning better to lift from the fiberglass part of the boat, than from the hydrofoil above the prop?"

"Exactly....putting any hydrof

"Exactly....putting any hydrofoil on the drive means that there will be upwards thrust on the drive itself which it wasn't really designed for. By putting tabs on the bottom of the transom however puts the upwards thrust there on the structure of the boat itself. Many guys put the foils on because they are cheaper and usually easier to install. I used on myself many years ago on an inflatable with amazing results, much quicker hole shot and kept bow rise to a minimum but at that time there wasn't really anything else such as the smart tabs they have today. Do a google on them and see if they might be a better solution for you.

ps....I'm not saying " the hydrofoil stingray 3 sucks " only that there are alternatives out there
happy.gif
"

what kind of damage would resu

what kind of damage would result from the hydrofoil bob? and what is the price difference on a spart tab? and are you then cutting holes throught the transom to mount them?

"No cutting involved, you simp

"No cutting involved, you simply drill holes and mount them. Price difference not sure, you would have to compare but it's not like comparing apples to apples. I know when I installed my Stingray several years ago I had to drill 4 holes in the anti-cavitation plate, which some people felt actually weakened it?

Anyway have a look at this link, not sure exactly what size you would need

http://www.marineengine.com/products/accessory.php?in=2649080"

"Hadn't seen that one befo

"Hadn't seen that one before, sure is pretty
happy.gif

Didn't see where it said it was better than smart tabs but even though you don't have to drill holes to mount it, it still puts the upward thrust on the drive.

Comes down to being your choice, I'm not an advocate one way or the other, just trying to show you the alternatives. If you've got lots of $$$ then maybe the Bennett's are the right choice for you. I've had them on 3 boats now and swear by them and their support is second to no one!"

"Only thing holding the drive

"Only thing holding the drive to the intermediate is that little tilt gear. I for one wouldn't want to put anymore stress on it than is already there. I would go with the traditional Bennett stainless tabs. I had them on my boat but really never used them unless I had a lot of weight on board or had too much weight (a person) on one side of the boat. Mine were installed independently so you could run them down individually. For a little boat like that with a 305 in it, what is the point? I can't imagine that boat having any problems planing off fully loaded."

"There are no doubts that Stin

"There are no doubts that Sting-rays/Dol Fins manage to lift the stern and make the boats plan easier, but.
How many of You would put a car-jack under the drive and lift the stern and boat off the trailer? My guess is that most of You would put the jack under the hull!! The stringers are not bolted to the transom like Volvos/Mercruiser/Cobra, but resting on 4 rubber engine mounts that was never designed to take that kind of load in addition to what is mentioned above."

Back